Sign in to follow this  
Texasbmx

Blazer Documentation thread

Hey guys.  New to this forum.  1st post.  I’ve had this Blazer since new when I was 10ish.  My memory is crap.  Asked my mother and she did tell me that the LBS owner in Beaumont TX was a family friend and built it up in front of me in his garage.  I don’t have recollection of that because like I said, my memory is crap.  It is Serial #1110.  I hadn’t thought much of it until coming across it in my folks storage building.  I grabbed it and I’m considering fixing it back up for my son to ride.  The fork has a lot of the chrome plating lifting due to SETX humidity but the frame still seems solid.  I would like to get an idea of what year this is.  My memory is pretty foggy.  I’m tempted on shooting a fresh coat of metallic blue but am concerned about not being able to find accurate replica frame decals.  Any and all help appreciated.

2F4D5B51-5D6A-47B7-8A50-4666079184C6.jpeg

1A6181B7-B707-4402-AE7F-1041851A04DF.jpeg

7E22943C-2E04-40EA-B7C4-73FFB910ADFB.jpeg

EECA07D2-E59C-49F5-833C-286511AC1814.jpeg

That frame is in AMAZING original finish with original decals DO NOT ruin it by restoring it. If your kid wants a mint shiny bike, go buy him a new one. PLEASE DO NOT refinish that.

Typically I wouldn’t be considering it but the whole rear triangle has got so much rust.  The paint is gone on about 60% of the rear triangle.  The front fork was always a no name brand so I’m just going to source a Tange TX500.  I’m even kicking around having the araya 7s and Suzue hubs re-anodized simply because the anodizing is all but gone and it would be considerably less than sourcing NOS wheels/hubs. 

Like Brian said, don’t refinish ANYTHING.  it’s perfect the way it is (definitely more valuable and desirable to collectors).  The missing paint is ok too...it’s character and would be ruined if refinished.  There’s ways to clean it up.  There’s people (and threads) here that can help guide you through too.  Rims shouldn’t be re-anodized either.  Seriously...just clean it up.  

Post some better pics of the forks.   They’re probably something cool too.  

PLEASEEEEEEEEEE DO NOT refinish it. Making it shiny is just RUINING IT. :oof:

If you want something restored, then sell me this one and buy one so you dont RUIN this one.

Incredible Blazer! I agree with previous comments. This is so cool the way it sits. Way more interesting to look at and appreciate in OG condition and decals than a refinished one. Also cool you still have it after all these years-

With the right advice and methods what you have will clean up better than what you think. Just think it over a little before you do anything. 

It'll clean up. That is one of the coolest survivor blazers I have ever seen, even though it isn't complete. I am very jealous. Really wish I didn't sell all of my stuff :/

Ever seen a Blazer with 2 serial numbers???  All these years and I never noticed this.  My serial No. is 1110.  The other dropout has 1112 on the inside.  

35B926CE-9BA3-4B7C-94B4-045387C7F4E4.jpeg

The dropout stampings look like they can be used on both sides.  I guess Dave back in the day prestamped a handful at a time and then during set up inadvertently grabbed another stamped dropout instead of a non-stamped. 

14 hours ago, BMXBlazer said:

The dropout stampings look like they can be used on both sides.  I guess Dave back in the day prestamped a handful at a time and then during set up inadvertently grabbed another stamped dropout instead of a non-stamped. 

This is correct. Dropouts were stamped and put in a box. He grabbed two from the same box.

Decided to take the advice from previous comments and just clean the frame and replace needed part with period correct components.  Pics of progress to follow.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Awesome decision! Glad you come to this site first. Looking forward to progress pics. I’ll say it again- that’s a damn nice Blazer 

Edited by cwplanet

Well... ordered spokes and nipples to get my wheelset together.  Can’t seem to find my rear Suzue hub so I opted for a pair of ACS gold hubs.  Some of the lacquer is falling off but I think the spokes will actually keep it in place.  Very surprised that i still remembered how to lace a wheel.

Had difficulty finding Oakley 3s in black that weren’t stupid priced.  Found a NOS grey pair so those will have to work for now.  If I stumble on black pair later I’ll swap them out.

E0B7E89C-1CA1-4E75-9A5D-DD17F20B082C.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Original Araya 7 rims to the bike too.  The ACS hubs were off of an old set that I trashed as a kid.  

The handlebars are in great shape except for the anodizing being almost gone.  Not having much luck finding a good gold set that is period correct so I may just re-anodize them here in the shop.  Still on the fence about it though.

Edited by BMXBlazer

Again...leave things original.  The bars on there are perfect.   No need to repaint or re-ano ANYTHING. 

I agree ^^

I would suggest just cleaning it up a bit and building it back up like the awesome time capsule that it is. 

Any updates "bmxblazer"?