Sign in to follow this  
reilley1

RIP Dave Mirra

This is horrible. So sad for his family.

I don't know if I am more sad, or angry to be honest. Being a parent, that is something I could never put my kids through. My cousins ex husband went to her house while everyone was out about 10 years ago, shot himself, and his youngest son was the one who found him, so I guess it is a sore issue with me.

Damn shame how he went out,but in life he was quite an amazing guy. Amazingly talented on a bike, very humble, cool guy in person. I last saw him around 9-10 years ago at Interbike and we talked a bit at the show, then later in the week he saw me at the rider of the year awards and came right over to me, remembered my name and everything, and we probably talked another 15 minutes. Very cool guy and amazing BMXer, he will be missed.

• Like 1

And regardless of what TMZ says, TJ Lavin was the host of Real World/ Road Rules Challenge, not Dave.

Something does not jive with this death.  I have a feeling that when all the facts come out, there will be some revelations.  Doesn't really matter.  RIP, Miracle Boy.  You will be missed.

Very sad indeed. It is inevitable that nobody lives forever but none of us need any help.

Weather self inflicted or otherwise, 41 is too young.

Heard this last night late on KNX radio while coming home after my weekly MTB night ride.

A good ride buzz muted by the death of a fellow bike rider. One who was lucky enough to make a living doing what he loved.

As Red stated life is short enough, no one needs help.

People are increasingly suggesting CTE as a possible factor in Dave Mirra's suicide.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/actionsports/2016/02/05/dave-mirra-depression-suicide-cte/79869822/

So disappointing and sad. Such a young man with so much ahead of him! Prayers go out to his family and friends.

I speak from experience and can attest that concussions are not an insignificant injury. At the age of 20 I suffered a severe concussion that put me in the hospital for 7 days, in all I was  horizontal for just over a month. I could not get vertical without severe dizziness, blurry vision, nausea, and headaches. I also could not look at moving pictures or objects without the same symptoms. I can tell you that I was not the same person after that 1 injury. Personality changed, as I became less patient, more introverted, quiet, too serious, and less social with unfamiliar people or places. Parents sent me for therapy as I thought it was depression. I finally came to the realization that that concussion had to be at least be a component of what was happening to me and that I was not depressed just needed to be OK with me now.

With what we now know about CTE........I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like for someone who has had several.

• Like 1

horribly sad.   rest in peace.  

I recently saw Will Smith on a talk show talking about his new movie that deals with CTE.

He gives a great visual analogy; "your brain rests in a liquid type setting. Picture a pickle in liquid in a jar, move it vigorously and eventually the pickle will come into contact with the hard side of the jar."

No matter how much protection you put on there will always be two impact points. The initial stoppage after the impact and then the internal organs making contact with their respective barriers.

The body is an amazing thing but it can only take so much abuse.