Sign in to follow this  
Racer

Can anyone ID this track (socal I think) circa 1977

I got some pictures. The reason I think they are from 1977 is Tinker Juarez is in 2 of them and wearing a Mongoose helmet and jersey but still running the #88 plate with flag in background. I think the team uniform came out in 77.

Also in the pictures is Jeff Bottema (DG #25). (pictures not shown here)

So I'm first thinking Little Lake Park. But the track doesnt appear to be in a park.

I also see 2 JMC riders that dont look they are on JMC bikes. It is the jersey from the shop era. (picture not shown here) So maybe it was a Monrovia, Azusa or .... track?

2cosxgg.jpg

2vblr1g.jpg

357msy0.jpg

a2gmtv.jpg

rvydk2.jpg

Judging by the pits and another picture I got of the trophies it seemed like a big race. Maybe a double pointer or something.

Edited by Racer

I would like to say I recognize the track...but nothing looks familiar in those pics.

I only raced Little Lake, Monrovia and Azusa a couple of times each and nothing in these pics ring a bell.

Could it be the Santa Ana Elks track?

Here is a picture that I got from Bryan Dworshak. L to R is Kevin Cobb, me, Bryan and Tinker leading at the Elks track in 1977.

1977 Santa Ana Elks club.jpg

Hrmm that could be it. Either way that picture rocks. Kevin Cobb never made it to the big time like Tinker or yourself but he obviously was not slow if he could hang with you. Big time I mean like Redline or Mongoose factory team, limos, showgirls.

Most of the riders in the pictures like the one you posted of ELKs do not have district X so the track was obviously BMXL or iBMX or Independent. By the way it was a two lap track or designed for two laps.

Here are two more pictures.

iwrdvm.jpg

2cztvfd.jpg

Edited by Racer

I'm not positive but the last pic with the three guy's # 696 looks like Freddie Desota Before he turned Pro skateboarder..He is from long beach and was friends with everyone @ pedal power in the early days...just a guess not positive.

He also hung out @ the Y in orange and the BIGO skate park in Orange .

This is Freddie after he stopped racing BMX....early eighties 80/82ish.

12696927_752447048221538_670424646016609139_o.jpg

Edited by dtr

thnks dtr, could be I didnt live in Cal till 82 (more or less).

But that could also make Santa Ana Elks track more possible. Since in those days before the Y opened that was the closest track to Peddlepower after WSA closed.

I got a VHS tape with a bunch of home recordings of Socal races in the early 80's. This track looks kind of similar to one that I saw on this tape. I'm going to try and digitize these recordings soon,. Not sure if it'll help or not, but the videos are still pretty cool nonetheless.

Amazing photos. Thanks for putting 'em up.

Racer,

Awesome old school photos, thanks for posting. Please refresh my memory: did you have a stash of photographs from your ride across the country and is there a thread where you posted those?

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

hell yea....sick pics!!!!

I'd bet it's the Elks Track-

The clues are in the background buildings. The pic that Red Baron posted shows the apartment complex off of Lyon street with that uniquely peaked shingled roof. Those apartments are still there. The pic of the kids doing wheelies shows the old multistory Ramada Inn off of First Street which runs perpendicular to Lyon. The building still stands, but has been abandoned for several years. The Elks still own the property, and their lodge remains, but the rest of the area is high-density apartments.

Lining up the landmarks in the pics with points found on Google earth this is what I found. The actual location of the track was where the apartments on that block are now located. 

elksbmx.jpg

No Richard I dont. I turned some film I took over to a bike  shop in Hobbs, NM to forward to Diamond Back.

I turned most of my film and my diary with contact stuff etc over to BMX Action. They had started to do a 7 page story on my trip and took studio photos. I was so bummed when they cancelled I didnt go back and get the stuff to give to another magazine.

I was young and dumb.

By the time I talked to Steve Giberson about it like a year or two later, he looked and couldnt find anything.

I gave Action everything save what little I sent to DB. I am not sure what I asked the shop to send DB, maybe just receipts but I think I also sent a roll of film.

But when Action cancelled the story DB immediately dropped me. So again I was too bummed to call them.

In California with no job, sponsor or family or even a car. Rude awakening for a kid who always lived at home and had a car to use.

I couldnt bring myself to give up on the California dream and move home. I shoulda lol.

I was on a few radio stations, in a few newspapers but never had them send stuff to my home or got any copies. 'Cept the lone copy I got while In Chandler, AZ

Shame I bet I took some pictures at Sugarland and maybe some of Mike.

I wish I had the pictures Charlie Nickle took in Summerville. We got rad near his house at some killer jump near a creek. Glad I did the ride, I remember most everything it was that fun and exciting.

Sod nice detective work. I will have to stop by the Elks one day and see if they have any archives.

Edited by Racer

Sod nice detective work. I will have to stop by the Elks one day and see if they have any archives.

No biggie I just ran with the info that cwplanet provided.