Sign in to follow this  
radmax

1976 FMF mild steel frame - serial # question

Greetings,

I recently rescued what I think is a 1976 FMF mild steel frame from the trash, but I'm having trouble finding information about the serial number on the BB. My serial number starts with "FJC" and then has three numbers. Does anyone have any info based on the serial number such as month/year when built, who built this frame, etc? Any relation to DB? Would this be considered a Breithaupt Replica?

Would love to learn any more about this frame. Posted this on another forum, and many helpful people answered my questions as best they could, just wondering if anyone here knows anything further or knows anyone I can contact for more info. thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by radmax

A member here had one a few years back I think it's a 1976 very rare to find in mild steel great save !!

No matter on the serial #. These were offer for only about a year. So 1976 is it. As I recall and I will say right now that I am not 100% sure about this. That the mild steel FMF frames were the "Breithaupt Replica" models. At least I do not recall ever seeing any aluminum frames stickered up as Breithaupt Replicas. Great find! (I want it!)

• Like 1

http://www.bmxsociety.com/topic/57766-76-fmf-breithaupt-replica/?hl=%2Bbreithaupt+%2Breplica

http://www.bmxsociety.com/topic/52300-1977-fmf-breithaupt-replica/?hl=%2Bbreithaupt+%2Breplica

I reached out to Larock earlier today but he didn't respond.  He knows FMF's though.

Ad from Oct 77 Minicycle Action

Oct-77_mincycleaction_FMF_jw.replica.jpg

ads

9/76

9_76_FMF.ad.jpg

12/76

Dec_76.FMF_ad.jpg

12/77

Dec_77_FMFad.jpg

It's a mild steel FMF for sure. I had two fine examples both with original finishes.

The red one is the only Breithaupt replica known to exist.

The yellow was built once before I got it.

IMG_9842.jpeg

DSC_1332.JPG

DSC_1328.JPG

DSC_1333.JPG

DSC_1334.JPG

DSC_1335.JPG

DSC_1336.JPG

DSC_1694.JPG

DSC_1693.JPG

DSC_1695.JPG

DSC_1696.JPG

DSC_1699.JPG

See! There it is. Like I said "not 100% sure." So it's looking like a JW replica then. I can't help but noting here that whenever I read posts like this as of late I really find myself missing the Old Man. So much was l lost when he passed. I'm coming to sadly realize this more as time goes by. :(

Whats the difference between a JW Replica and a Breithaupt Replica??? What does JW stand for? Sod and I need one. Sod can pay for it and I will keep it at my house. It can be both ours :ROTFLMAO:

• Like 2

I asked radmax about it when I saw it posted on the other site. I dig it just the way it sits.

I think JW stands for jeff ward

I was told the JW was for Jimmy Weinert.

Don't kill me for this but I vaguely remember Scot or someone associated with FMF at one point that Jeff Watson  (Webco factory racer and brother of Archie and Jimmy-not the freestyle Watson) was supposed to ride for FMF.

Probably totally off base but...

• Like 1

Thanks S.Brothers and Larock for the original ads and the pics of other JW Replica frames.

Larock, did yours have serial numbers? If so, what were the first three letters? Must've been hard to let those two go...

Great save.

I too could use one of those.

Well, contacted Jeff and he said that he was not the J in the JW replica but might have been his brother Jim as he and Scot were very good friends.

So here we are almost two years later. Has anyone nailed down what "JW" turned out to stand for? Still wondering?  :Idunno: A little disclosure here. I now have a vested interest in sorting this out.  :Cool_LikeThat:

• Like 2

Very cool find.  Jeff Ward.

Jeff Ward. Still a maybe, maybe not on that one I think. Unless there is something your not telling us?  :lol:

I asked Scot that question.

Yes I see. But you were not the only one. Others that have asked have gotten kind of vague info in answer to the question. So I have to ask; What did he tell you? :idea:

*waiting*