OLDSKOOLPK

COMPLETE! 1981 Candy Red Looptail Quadangle

I have waited 10 years for this to happen!!! It all started when i went to one of my first BMX gatherings in NYC. I saw a Looptail Quad that was built up by Mike G aka Akcuda. It was beautiful but restored but really got the fire started for me. I watched Larock and many others build up what felt like 100's.....1000's of them....The timing was always wrong for me. Didn't have the money at the time, just bought something....got married....had a kid...you know...LIFE!!

I remember this frameset was sold on ebay many years ago....i just missed it and was pissed off but continued to look. I bought a few that needed restoration....they sat and then i sold them off because i was on a mission to find a original finish one.

Then one day this popped up on ebay.uk built as a complete bike...then disappeared, someone got the seller to end early. DANG!!! Then it popped back up due to non-payment...BINGO, its was my turn to attack!! We settled on a fair price and it was shipped from the UK to PA in about a week! I was dying to build it, i already had the padset that i bought from Larock about 3-4yrs ago so to me....the hardest part was out of the way.

Now, how do I build it?? The frameset was a little rougher than I usually start with, missing the headtube decal....more chips and scratches than usual. So i opened up my magazine collection and just studied Jan-Dec 1981 BMXA.

I wanted to use some "new in 1981" parts to build it.....and here she is!!!

The ONLY things NOS are the headtube decal and the decals on the plate, everything else is used.

1981 Candy Red Looptail Quadangle frame with Solid Dropout Landing Gear Forks

Vinyl Quadangle pads

Tange Meritier Headset

Square Corner Tuf Neck stem

Race Inc Chromoly Pro Bars

Cam # plate

Oakley 2 grips with crud plugs

Dia Compe MX-1000 caliper with Tech 3 lever

Mathauser Brake pads

2 piece Dia Compe Seatpost clamp

7/8 SE Racing seatpost

Kashimax MX 2 hole seat

Takagi MX one piece crank

130bcd Phil Wood Spider

D.I.D. Chain

Takagi Chainring

Shimano DX pedals

Petes Precision Products sealed Bottom Bracket

Araya 7c hoops

Shimano DX cassette hubs

2.125/1.75 Mitsuboshi Competition II Tires

The mission is over and I am ecstatic to say the least!!

Now to the pics!! Enjoy!!

IMG_7731.JPG

IMG_7732.JPG

IMG_7733.JPG

IMG_7735.JPG

IMG_7736.JPG

IMG_7739.JPG

IMG_7738.JPG

IMG_7740.JPG

IMG_7741.JPG

IMG_7737.JPG

IMG_7742.JPG

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7745.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

IMG_7751.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_7748.JPG

IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG

IMG_7754.JPG

IMG_7747.JPG

• Like 6

• Admin

well... that is beautifully done.  Geez, really nice, I kind of have a resistance to red... I just don't favor it too much, but man, this is really good looking.  I forced myself to read the post before scrolling down to the bike.  Like a kid reading the card before I open the present. :wink:

Superb, Jon.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve! Sorry for the looooong dissertation Steve and everyone....but I had to share the story. This was a very exciting but hard build. I'm still like a little kid on Christmas waiting to open the big box. After I took the pics and brought the bike back in the house....my wife asked, "does this mean it goes down in the bmx room now and out of my living room?"

Tony

I did end up riding this when I first completed it a few weeks ago but still wasn't pleased with the outcome (few parts I wanted to change out). It rode nice, 44-16 gearing felt good to cruise and hit the streets on. If I can't ride it, I don't want it.

Here's a few pics of what it looked like the first time I threw parts at it and changed out.

SE Big Boy bars (didn't like them on the bike)

Hot Plate (waaaay too nice for this bike)

Red DX pedals (no likey)

Pro Neck chainring

Oakley .5 grips

MINT Comp II and Snakebelly tires (these tires looked totally out of place being just about new)

IMG_20160731_185042.jpg

IMG_20160731_185121.jpg

IMG_20160731_185031.jpg

• Like 1

• Admin

Thanks Steve! Sorry for the looooong dissertation Steve and everyone....but I had to share the story. This was a very exciting but hard build. I'm still like a little kid on Christmas waiting to open the big box. After I took the pics and brought the bike back in the house....my wife asked, "does this mean it goes down in the bmx room now and out of my living room?"

It definitely was not that the intro was long... it was just resisting the temptation to look at the bike first. :-)  I do enjoy a proper write up to go along with the bikes.

WOW , how did I miss this ??? that Red one is JUST RIGHT !!!! Talk about double your pleasure !!! can't wait to see the blue one built. I'm assuming it will be alot like the Red one..... again WOW !!!

Beautiful! I’m sure you’ll build the new (newly acquired) one up just as nice. It’s refreshing to see some OG SE goodness, 99% of the SEs I’ve seen in recent years are retro ones.