Sign in to follow this  
AuburnHuff

Auburn BMX Frame Evolution/ "Holy Grail" Frames

Gang,

Happy New Year. I had posted this somewhere else but others, including Steve Brothers here thought (Thanks Steve!) you all would get a kick out of these pics. I dug these out a while back and thought I'd share. Sorry they are dirty but know one has really seen these for almost 30 years.

1) First ever Auburn prototype frame..built in Taiwan sometime in 1986/1987 This bike was put together and raced by Rod "Bronco" Beckering at Murray World Cup in Irvine, CA in 1986 or 87. Look how "cobby" it is...weighs a tone. Even hand made stickers by Bob Morales on it.

IMG_6276_zpsppzys0rw.jpg

IMG_6280_zpslgmblmfs.jpg

IMG_6279_zpsrrnsu3gv.jpg

IMG_6278_zpsjutv4rdt.jpg

IMG_6277_zpsnrouzyoy.jpg

2) First USA made prototype by GT Bicycles-Gary Turner - Gary made this frame based on above with hand-made stays, tabs, etc. before production models were made. I believe Danny "The Missle" Millwee actually raced this. 

IMG_6288_zpsfbtpgxjz.jpg

IMG_6289_zpstapagexh.jpg

IMG_6290_zpswfco9cnr.jpg

IMG_6292_zpszdsaq3eq.jpg

3) These are Todd Corbitt's and Danny Millwee's "Factory Bikes" for I believe 1988...These were hand-painted by Mountaingoat Mountain Bikes in Nor. Cal. We did TC's as sharks and palm trees since he was from Florida and Danny's as flames since he was "The Missle".

IMG_6283_zps23nskq5o.jpg
IMG_6284_zps2nm7axth.jpg

IMG_6281_zpsgl9khsb5.jpg

IMG_6282_zpshex5vz6v.jpg

4) First, prototype "Works Link" - Unfortunately the whole, completed concept of "different rear-ends for different tracks/styles, etc. never materialized as planned with our merger with GT Bicycles in Aug/Sept of 1989 but here is the first sample of the aluminum "Works Link" rear triangle complete with sample decals on both sides. 

IMG_6274_zps3ru3wo4s.jpg

IMG_6275_zpsyjklzmyc.jpg

5) And finally, the Auburn's that most people know. This the first model in 1989/1990 with GT designed graphics, Works Link and green color...After this I lost track of all the models, etc as years rolled on with my new job at GT.

IMG_6294_zpsrzhzkwif.jpg

IMG_6295_zps0zdnrx2r.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed this historical, technical walk down memory lane with me. Maybe you'll see some of these put back together someday.

Best and Happy New Year, (Thanks again Steve)

Todd Huffman 
  • Like 2

Amazing documentation of important stuff, Todd... thanks, we don't see people getting forensic like this on bmx topics, much these days.  Good thread!

Thanks Steve. It's fortunate I guess that I still have these after all these years and everyone is so into this stuff now.

Now, what to do with them. :)

• Like 1

Origins, nothing better than knowledge being dropped with the actual artifacts as supporting documentation. Fantastic stuff.

That tubular Tri-Link is a trip!

Cool you still have that stuff. I remember those custom paint frames... TC, Millwee and Big E had those at the shop I worked at in Milwaukee. They stayed with a coworker for part of the week of Rockford Nationals that year (and several after).  TC got a new fork for it from us'cuz he bent his - I think i still have the bent one somewhere. Good times!

• Like 1

Incredible info. Thanks for posting!!!

On 1/3/2017 at 10:31 AM, AuburnHuff said:

Thanks Steve. It's fortunate I guess that I still have these after all these years and everyone is so into this stuff now.

Now, what to do with them. :)

Hi Todd,

If you ever want to sell some or all I’d be interested in owning that history. 

Cheers, Ben.