Sign in to follow this  
eastcoaststeve

Looking for Help IDing an Early Aluminum Race Frame

Really would appreciate some help figuring out who built this frame so I can ID a frame I have that is very similar.

aluminumframe1588ea17b76.jpg

aluminumframe2588ea19117.jpg

Any tips would be great.

Steve

• Like 1

There was someone on here and/or the museum who had a one off aluminum early mountain bike that had similar drop outs.

But if I remember correctly that was your bike.

There was someone on here and/or the museum who had a one off aluminum early mountain bike that had similar drop outs.

But if I remember correctly that was your bike.

Yeah, the mountain bike is mine.

The race frame above belongs to DCBMX1, he thought it was an OTP and even got some matching pads.

From what I have seen, OTP was a bike shop, so somebody had to make the frames for them.

Leads so far have been:

OTP

True Radius Bending

Nomura

Monte Rook

Other than Monte confirming he made the dropouts I haven't come up with much.

Steve

I spent many hours hanging out in OTP...that shop was dope.

Sorry, don't have any info for you or know who that rider is though.

True Radius Bending built all the Nomura tubing for Wade and built the frames.. Definitely not Nomura but the dropouts are very similar to Nomura drops. Have you tried contacting True Radius Bending. They are still in business as far as I know.

From the TRB thread. Maybe a bit off topic but maybe supporting the TRB theory too.

Here's a quote from him that explains TRB's interaction with Nomura...

"We were more than just the metal supplier for Wade. We did all of the machining, bending, mitres, copes and fitup in the jigs. True, Dave Gilkeson welded the majority of the frames, but he was an employee of TRB and starting his own welding company at the time, Precision Welding (at which I now work.) Seth Hammond definitely welded a few, ( I will ask him the quantity when I see him next), but Scott Loepky wasn't that great of an aluminum welder and was cut off from that task asap. Monte Rook at M&J engineering did all of the stamping of the dropouts. And to set the record straight, we bought all of the tubing and dropouts and sold Wade welded, raw, un-heat-treated frames. The unfortunate reality with the jigs is that my dad made them, owned them and then cut them up with a torch after Wade got out of the BMX thing. He did this because he never wanted to be accused of copying Wade's design.
We did start doing some of our own frames and have gone through a series of revisions. We never made a 20", but did make 24" and 26". I used a 24" Schwinn as a template for geometry that Shawms March gave me when he was on their world cup mountain bike team. As for the 26" that you think was designed as a velodrome track bike is far from that. I used a 1950s Schwinn that Jim Hoppersted lent me as a baseline for my geometry. We were going for a good wheelie beach cruiser that was designed only for coaster brakes. A big mistake. I now have aluminum parts for v-brakes, but also want to incorporate the ability to use old school horseshoe BMX brakes.
If anyone has any ideas or input as to parts to design, let me know. I am open to suggestion. We still have enough oval downtube for about 400 frames, and enough dropouts for 50-60 more frames. The good news is that the dropouts are a phone call away and 12 miles from our shop. I brought the jig down off the shelf just last week and started eyeballing the front triangles that need to be finished.

Brian"

TrulyOdd,

Thanks for the post.

Do you know or remember any of the OTP guys?

Was hoping maybe someone from the shop might recall the frames.

Brian,

I think you are right and TRB is a definite posibility. I sent pics to the son a while bavk but he didnt recognize it. I think he asked one ot two of the welders too. It's a shame the founder has pased...he may have been the one with the answer.

Monte did congirm he made the dropouts though.

Steve

Would be a huge help to figure out who this rider is:

aluminumframe4588eb332ea.jpg

Steve

It seems this rider has been positively identified as Roy Mims.  I shared the pic and asked for ID on the BMXsociety FB group.

• Like 1

Would be a huge help to figure out who this rider is:

aluminumframe4588eb332ea.jpg

Steve

It seems this rider has been positively identified as Roy Mims. I shared the pic and asked for ID on the BMXsociety FB group.

Steve,

That's awesome! Great detective work.

Please let me know if you hear from him...it would be very cool to see what he remembers about the cruiser.

Steve

Edited by eastcoaststeve