Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Replica of my childhood 81 GT

Steve_81_GT_a.jpg

So... this is pretty close to one of my childhood bikes.  I picked it up with the intention of doing it exact, but still have some missing bits. It's not far off though and I will eventually dial it in completely.  I have the Phil hubs, but they are 130 spaced and I just didn't get to the adjustment, and instead of blue Araya rims, at the moment I have blue Ukai on here.  The other difference is that I had a blue xcaliber seat post clamp and I couldn't come up with one.

Steve_GT_DriveSide.jpg

Steve_GT_crank_detail.jpg

I could hold back longer on the debut, and if it wasn't for BOTY, I would... but I try to submit something each year just so I can have grounds to admonish those of you who don't bother to enter anything anymore.  :fuel:  :nah.I.mean:

Really, though... like others it seems, I'm getting lazy... there are a number of little details that I am letting slide.  This uni-seat is newer than mine, the hubs and rims... already mentioned. I'll update if I get it dialed, but it's a lot of trouble!

I bought the core elements off of Brian Hays, and brought it up to near spec with spare parts I had laying around.

It came together weekend before last and I was holding out a bit, as I hoped to at least get the xcaliber clamp, but it didn't happen.

Steve_GT_cockpit.jpg

It was kind of a moving experience when I took it for the first spin.  Riding down 1st street towards my friend's house, the view looking down from the cockpit as the asphalt street passed beneath me gave me total flash backs... little vignette scenes from my youth came pouring back into memory.  It was kind of a trip.  The muscle memory kicked in and I reflexively reached to hand tighten the headset, just as I had done thousands of times, riding around as a kid.

I really recommend this if you haven't built a replica from when you were a kid. It's such a trip the way the scenes from youth and little episodes return to mind. Stuff I have not thought of in over 30 years.

Wow.  Building a childhood replica is a pretty deep experience.  I will have to build my burnished PK now.

Steve_Christmas_GT_82or83_BMXsociety.jpg

I could actually come pretty close to recreating this photo as well. I still have the helmet, which I believe I got for Christmas this very year the photo was taken. I had the bike and leathers already.  I can still fit into the pants and jersey - high water for sure and tight, but I can do it.  Unfortunately I don't have them here with me in California to really ice this throwback cake. I believe this is Xmas 1982.  I got Devo's New Traditionalists LP as a gift as evidenced by another photo and though that album came out in late 81, I think based on other clues that this was 82. I also got a GT helmet bag for xmas. 

:OSshuffle:

• Like 5

This is amazing!! This is the 81 GT Pro I found at Pawn King complete for $50. Still my only true score in 15 years. SO Glad to have passed it onto you after owning it (twice) ;) Looks GREAT!! Im on the lookout for your Xcal clamp.

• Like 1

Thanks, Brian... frankly, if you hadn't made this so easy for me, I never would have gotten to it at this stage of things. It is so hard to get motivated for some reason.  But... as I say, the flashbacks have made it all worthwhile.  It's about as close as I can imagine getting to a time machine. 

Badass, Steve.

That is so bitchin!! We definitely need a sausage casing pic of you in the leathers by the tree...mine is usually up well into February so stop on by... :comedy:

• Like 1

now this is what it's about. :True:   i'm sure that feeling was incredible.   

the bike though....that thing is super fire. :rawks:   you were hurtin' fools back in the day.   

Totally dig it Steve. You know I have always liked the early GT's, and you put that together so nice. Especially the GT Uni cover. I regret selling mine :(

I always like the GT colors of yellow, white and blue.

well, I got some Araya wheels to replace the Ukai 7x styles that were on here in the first post...

I do have phil hubs... but still haven't bothered to get them resized for 110 bmx spacing...

but these Araya were laced to some SST hubs, I guess that'll do for now. 

:nah.I.mean-1:

getting closer to an exact child match... slow, incremental steps. 

Steve_GT_replica_SST_hub_side_view.jpg

Steve_GT_replica_backwheel_detail.jpg

Steve_GT_replica_front_hub.jpg

• Like 2

Always loved this bike.

• Like 1

Crazy good upgrades. Awesome bike.

• Like 1

I dig it. Even more! :)

• Like 1

nothing like a chrome and blue GT, only way to build one in my opinion. Looking good, Steve!

• Like 1

trying to decide whether to unbox this... nearly all my bikes are still boxed from the move.

Unbox it. Unbox them all. Stored in boxes is no way to keep them Shane. Oops I mean Steve :)

• Haha 1

so true... what was I thinking?!

lol

.....or ship them to me. Whatever.....

Send it to me. As a former professional art handler, I will evaluate your packing job. If I find it up to snuff, I'll let you know that it is safe to leave all of the other bikes in their boxes for long term storage. If the pack job does not pass, I will ask you to unpack the other bikes immediately, and I will hold on to the GT to make sure it is never improperly packed again. Actually, either way I'll hold on to the bike, because awesome bikes do not belong in boxes! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MelvinsArmy said:

Send it to me. As a former professional art handler, I will evaluate your packing job. If I find it up to snuff, I'll let you know that it is safe to leave all of the other bikes in their boxes for long term storage. If the pack job does not pass, I will ask you to unpack the other bikes immediately, and I will hold on to the GT to make sure it is never improperly packed again. Actually, either way I'll hold on to the bike, because awesome bikes do not belong in boxes! 

Perfectly said ;)

• Like 2

We need them all out in a Pleva style garage/beer cave to sit and admire them...

Can bring my park stand and a rack of suds, we'll get these done.

As an aside, this may be the second time this bike has been to Medford or environs. I think this is the bike I bought from Brian and sold back couple years later. Did not want it to go, but am stoked that this is how it ended up...if this is the one.

So I feel I need to chime in on this subject...

As for the quality of the packing job, only the best "tools" were used including Shiner Bock, a bottle opener and some trap music, maybe a crescent wrench and pretty close to the correct size sockets and a handful of old towels and free T-shirts thrown in each box. So yeah, shits gravy. 

On a side note, will this be the year that you duplicate the Christmas morning photo? Can I suggest replacing the actual tree with another 6 foot crop from the farm? I can't wait to see that card taped on my refrigerator!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

After a 25 mile ride this bike and the comments are just right.

20 hours ago, mmmmitsajelly said:

We need them all out in a Pleva style garage/beer cave to sit and admire them...

Can bring my park stand and a rack of suds, we'll get these done.

As an aside, this may be the second time this bike has been to Medford or environs. I think this is the bike I bought from Brian and sold back couple years later. Did not want it to go, but am stoked that this is how it ended up...if this is the one.

Yep. Bike I found at Pawn King. Changed some stuff. Sold to you. Bought back. Changed more stuff. A year or more later I sold it to Steve and he changed a few things  to get it here. It is an amzing bike for sure. My only ever "score" .

• Like 1

This is awesome!  I had a ‘81 GT bitd too and it was a killer bike.....Steve if you’re still chasing a blue Excaliber clamp I got you.  Just drop me a line when it suits.  

wow, I now have 2 bikes that are gems - the GT and the Quad, both with links to my childhood, that lived here within 15 minutes of where I live now in Oregon, I had them in Long Beach and now both have returned to Oregon...  trippy