Sign in to follow this  
The 26incher

Input Needed

Old (60's I think) Schwinn 24. Going Cal cruiser style. I'm super open with the build. What do you guys think? Paint? Wheels? Free wheel or coaster? Parts? Sticking with the Landing Gear but I'm open? Black chrome powder coat with tuffs? What would you do? Fire away...

1522628355759-1246487933.jpg

I kind of like the frame and fork as they are, freewheel, black tires, black seat, black grips = super sharp. 

24" tuffs are the worst.  Unless they are the few campy sets from the 80's. So... spokes. 

• Like 1

+1 for what Steve said.

As for the bars and neck: For cruising OK, if you hammer any trails not so sure I would trust the neck.

Looks good to me as it sits. Add a Brooks seat, some black wall tires and black grips and you're almost done.

I'd go Klunker style: coaster in the back with some fat tires; Motorcycly type MX bars; Brookes Flyer saddle.

I'd go Klunker style: coaster in the back with some fat tires; Motorcycly type MX bars; Brookes Flyer saddle.

I agree. This is a perfect klunker candidate. But, with that said, and depending on the budget, you might go with the freewheel and use the wheels just as they come.

Come on Jason...Give Jenny her bike back!!  LOL  

That thing would be killer as a Cal Custom.  Didn't it have gold bars before?

Atom bomb that dude out...drums front and rear. Then you get a freewheel and some real stopping power.

I agree with everyone else on the seat. Something less....bulbous.

Absolutely keep that paint! It looks like it's in great shape for its age. If it was mine, I'd keep what you've got there, f/f, headset, cranks and rear brake. I'd do a freewheel rear hub, with whatever new double walled alloy rims you prefer.

You're likely going to want to find a layback seat post for this bike. Even the 26" Schwinn cruisers feel slightly cramped with a straight post. They're hard to find, I know Mr Tick makes them, there might be some on the ratrodbikes site too. 

For bars, I'd go with the S&M Husky 4 speed bars and a top load 4 bolt bmx stem. Black tires.

Different direction, but here is my 1964 Schwinn Jaguar. It's got a 7 speed Shimano rear hub with a drum brake, front drum brake, Velocity Cliffhanger rims, Wald bars, Thick Slick tires, Brooks B67 with layback post and Suntour XC-II pedals.

-4.jpg

And with my buddy's 58 Deluxe Hornet, with a very similar setup.

-14.jpg

• Like 3