Sign in to follow this  
reilley1

R.I.P Bronco Rod Beckering

Rod_Beckering_Memorial_FB_header.jpg

Sad news.
Great guy.
Till we meet again in bmx heaven and get to race you and Scot in sidehacks again, Godspeed.

Bummer.  Rest easy, Rod. 

People are always curious... he had a respiratory condition where as I understood it, the alveoli in his lungs lost their capacity for expansion and contraction.  He had a pretty bad prognosis... I think he did outlive it a bit, but it wasn't easy.  I know he had a real struggle with disability benefits that did not make his last years easy at times.  

I was just re-reading some old text messages... he said it was IPF - idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis

:bravo:

42304741_10216433011719029_5778813685711503360_n.jpg

42369899_10213048827355698_3699395330798780416_n.jpg

42351659_10213048828035715_5408834637214515200_o.jpg

Rod_Beckering_SE_racing_quadangle_BMXS.jpg

SE_Ad_Goof_LonnieTatton_RodBeckering_BubbaHaysjpg.jpg

01-81_BMXracer_magazine_Rod.png

race_photo_toby_Rod.jpg

• Like 1

Met him a few years back at a show. Enjoyed talking with him and hearing a couple of stories about the classic SE times.

Another sad day for BMX. Rest in peace, Rod Beckering.

Sad stuff.

I used to stay in touch with him quite a bit. Was always a really nice guy... always friendly. In '81 or so, when I was on the local SE Factory Hot Shop team, I went over to check out the bus. He was the one that invited me to come in and hang out. He wa also the first pro to sign my form needed to get my pro card in the ABA.

RIP Rod...

• Like 2

very cool signed page, Curt

damn, very sad to hear.   may he rest in peace.  

• Like 1

Bronco bike - my son's first bike. I am a few years younger and looked up to Rod as a hero of mine, but got to know him later, where I worked with him a little with the SE guys on some bikes. I made sure my son's first bike was an SE (new company of course) and carefully chose the Bronco, as it was a perfect starter bike. My son loved it, and when I told him I knew who Bronco was, he didn't believe me, so I went to facebook and had a great conversation with Rod. It was near the end and he was hurting and sad, but it was cool to make him happy for a moment knowing that I got the bike. He was a really nice guy, who did bmx for the right reasons. I am going to keep this bike forever. I later got my son the new PK Ripper in black/purple, and he outgrew that as well, but we're going to keep both. Love that Rod had a second part in bmx by getting a new bike named after him. 

• Like 1

Sad to hear of his passing, in all the years I never heard a someone say he wasn't a great, down to earth guy. One more SE soldier on the starting gate in the sky. Love and respect to those he left behind.

Cant believe its been a year and a half already.