Sign in to follow this  
Brian Hays

Finally got another Nomura after 10 years!

Back in 2006 I bought 7 Nomuras in a three month period. They were relatively cheap and I just fell in love with them. I had every type made. Two 20" alloys, a 20" chromoly, a 24" alloy (one of three known to exist still) a 26/24 alloy, a 26" alloy and a 20" alloy that had been cut down into a 16" pit bike by True Torch. I also had all three sizes of Supercross Nomoreas at the same time. 20" alloy, 24" alloy and 26" alloy. There were 25 of each size made in these.  Back then all this stuff was pretty readily available. About a year after I got it all,  life got a little rough and I sold off my entire collection of 60 bikes and frame sets. Fast forward to 2018. I've always wanted another Nomura but the price of them has skyrocketed in ten years so I've never been able to justify buying one. When Chris from Texas posted his all original 20" Nomura here for sale, i wanted it so bad, I couldn't see straight. It sold for $8600ish dollars and though I listed some stuff for sale to make a run at it, it just wasn't to be but at that point I decided I would do what it took to have one. I started selling off alot of my Race Inc stuff a couple months ago and sold some other frames and bikes that I was willing to let go for the cause and FINALLY yesterday took delivery of this ole girl. big_smile.png The deal took over a month to get done for various reasons but I'm so stoked. I have everything to put it together except my rims which will be back to me on Monday from getting built and trued. I will add complete bike pics when i get it together next weekend.

20" alloy Nomura serial NRDG209 on the bottom bracket. Frame has never been repaired. It is an original polished one. It was found in the back room of a bike shop in Pueblo Colorado,  literally in a pile of bikes and parts that were worn out. It had 16" wheels and super short cranks on it, thrown in the pile. Lee Jones found it and owned it for 7-8 years before selling it to me. He hand polished the welds (to keep them crisp) and then hand delivered it to a local polisher to polish the frame with strict instructions to not touch the welds. It turned out amazing. Lee then applied repro decals to it. Forks are legit OG Bottema with NOS decals applied. Headset is a Tioga Beartrap. Bars are GT Pro bars in og finish AND decals. Grips are Oakley 2 with Oakley crud plugs. Grips and plugs were NOS when installed. I have everything to build it up. Alot of the parts I kept from my red Race Inc RA7 build when I sold the frame set (money toward this) but the spokes were chrome and they were rusting so i cut the spokes out and sent the hoops and hubs to Mark McCorkle in Portland and they are on their way back home now. Here's the stuff I got yesterday. Complete build pics will be added next weekend. Thanks to Lee Jones (Tanker Kranker) and Mark McCorkle (markmc97225) and to my buddy Shane in Long Beach for all his moral support. lol.png

post-1055-0-73028700-1540937974.jpgHays2.jpgHays3.jpgHays4.jpgHays5.jpgHays6.jpgHays7.jpgHays9.jpg

• Like 4

pretty dang sweet

I'm so glad I don't have the Nomura bug.  Or the Cook Bros. cruiser bug.   :CashMoney:

I mean, I see the dopeness, just fortunately do not feel the pull.  

Build pics coming this weekend. I may or may not have taken Friday off to build this. :D

I feel ya Steve. I never ever heard of Nomura bitd. When I saw pics of Tom Pzenny's 24" (later mine) I was instantly in love. The down tube is just sexy to me. It's like a loopy PK on steroids. I just cant get enough.

• Like 2

It really doesn't get much better than this. Looking forward to see it build. 

H.F.S.

Holy Fuckin Shit!

Hurry up, build the damn thing....I'm ready to drool! So happy to see ya with a Nomura again Brian!

• Like 1

I took friday off. Cant wait. I think I need a nicer seat than the Shotgun 2 I have but it will do for now and honestly if you see it in pics, its looks spotless. Its nice. Just not blinged out Nomura nice.

• Like 1

I recall when I first saw a Nomura perhaps late summer 1980 at the Valley Teen Center.

I remember thinking is that some sort of scaled up PK Ripper? The one I saw was red anodized (I think) and I looked at it hard, so cool. I think it was ridden by Wade Nomura.

Brian your current Nomura like many of your prior ones is first class.

OK here is the build. I will preface this with saying that I have two more seats coming this week lol.png Both are true NOS as opposed to this well used Cycle Pro Shotgun 2.

Parts break down:
Nomura 20" alloy frame. Serial number NRDG209 (on bottom bracket) Never been repaired but has been professionally polished somewhere outside of Highland Ranch CO. Repro decals
Bottema M-1 forks. I truly dont know if these were NOS before being mounted or if they are rechromed. I've emailed Lee Jones to find out and I'll post what I find out.
Tioga Beartrap 2 headset
GT Pro bars OG finish and decals
Oakley 2 grips with Oakley Crud Plugs. Both were NOS before install
Dia Comp Tech 3 lever
Dia Comp cable
Dia Comp MX1000 caliper dated 1981 with Weinmann adjuster
Dia Comp brake pads
Tuf Neck polished stem, all OG finish and hardware
Tuf Neck seat post clamp, OG
SE Racing 13/16" post. OG chrome and decal
Shot Gun 2 seat and guts in good used shape (being changed)
California Lite pad set
SR Cosmolite tubular 175mm cranks
Tioga Surefoot pedals
Suntour 44t chain sprocket (polished)
Tuf Neck Power Disc (polished)
Tioga sealed bottom bracket
Araya 7X hoops 20x1.75 (polished) (built by Mark McCorkle)
Sunshine high flange loose ball hubs
New stainless spokes and nipples
NOS before install LHR Diamante Golden Series Comp 3 tires. 20x2.125 and 1.75
Suntour 16t chrome freewheel
Izumi 1/8" chrome chain
NOS before install Rad Kaps (thanks to SE666 Pat McKenna for these)

20181111_191521.jpg

20181111_191533.jpg

20181111_191545.jpg

20181111_191818.jpg

20181111_191855.jpg

20181111_191901.jpg

20181111_191909.jpg

20181111_191916.jpg

20181111_191924.jpg

20181111_191828.jpg

Amazing.

My first check in for about 4 years. First thread I see is this and some very familiar names still here. What an amazing build Brian, congrats, that is outstanding. So good to see a fresh build, I think I might have another one still in me some day.

Wowsers!

I hope this is a mock up....i wanna know when the SST hubs, ESP stem, Titrons, Comp IIs (in red...nah yellow) and Aerospeeds are comin in?!?!

Haha! Beautiful Nomura Brian, I'm in love!! Tastefully done and a grand slam my friend!

• Like 1

looking good

dope!!   nice, classy build.    

Final pics with new seat and pedals. Unicanitor leather and KKT FMX Lightnings.

20181203_212522.jpg

20181203_212538.jpg

20181203_212516.jpg

20181203_212452.jpg

20181203_212505.jpg

20181203_212532.jpg

20181203_212549.jpg

20181203_212559.jpg

20181203_212649.jpg

20181203_212739.jpg

20181203_212638.jpg

20181203_212825.jpg

20181203_212727.jpg

20181203_212835.jpg

20181203_212900.jpg

Perfection.

what in the world is going on with this correct photo orientation...  

side_look_cat.jpg

I was just getting used to your usual side posts

LOL

I finally learned to hold my phone sideways.

That pic is an absolute spitting image of my cat, Hank.