Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Reunited - Quadangle from the hood

Love it story and all.

• Like 1

Dunno what's cooler ...the bike or the story. ..wait..the bike's cooler!..thanks for sharing Steve!

• Like 1

BOTY right there. You don't even need to put up the polls. Those Star Wars pads... awesome acquisition, Steve. 

• Like 1

A good story especially this part not wanting to hound people (including your friend) about a very cool childhood bike that you desire.

That says volumes about your character.

As for the bike (which is awesome) two questions. What is the serial number of the frame?

And the hubs look to be what I will call first gen Bullseye hubs? And if Bullseye a followup question, it seems the bmx community is not so fond of bullseye due to currently made and/or re pop production (without thru bolts). So are the first gen considered cool/high end quality? In 1979 I always belived they were as good as it got for sealed bearing hubs, since many high end roadies of the period used Bullseye hubs, pulleys etc.

• Like 2

Curt,

This is # 1212, as in the "microphone check" :101: .  :P

It was already on the serial list, though I did just add my own name to the owner segment list of provenance.

As for the hubs, yes indeed they are pre-allen head Bullseye hubs on 7x rims.  None of us can really remember the exact year that my friend got this frame set or bike from my other friend, but I think he was rolling this by early 83.

As for Bullseye in general, I think everyone is pretty much fine with back in the day Bullseye.  Especially hubs.  But yes, the current iteration of the company has lost its appeal for many of us.  It's just a retro company.  They went through a mis-representation phase, but now they seem to have finally settled into their own niche, which is a deep dive into anodization or bling for retro bikes. So, kind of irrelevant for those of us fixated on actual vintage bikes.   

I think it could also be said that there is sort of a BMX Society aesthetic, and it is generally the opposite of bling and oriented toward reality based compositions that aim to end up with something that realistically could have rolled right off the track back in the day.  I think when a lot of us see Bullseye cranks and even pedals, we just don't feel that is genuinely representative of what people were doing back in the day.  At least not to the degree that we see people going for those components now within certain segments of the community. 

• Like 2

I am fucking speechless. I have genuinely never been this jealous in my life. Amazing story and unbelievable bike in our favorite SE color!!

Cool that after Deans 1111 frame, you have 1212. Loving it beyond words.

Your collection has become quite epic this last couple of years!!

It's funny you mentioned being hesitant to ask old friends about their childhood bikes. Im exactly the same way and am not sure why. Of course the two times I have finally done it, both bikes were long gone with no idea what happened to them. Congrats on this one. Ill refrain from being mad you never told me. ;)

• Like 3

Brian, the reason I didn't debut this earlier is because I've had a run of a few years now of being able to break something interesting out at BOTY time.  Didn't think it would happen this year, but suddenly it did, so I just kept a lid on it for a while. That was hard to do for the first couple weeks. 

It was hard too, because when you were having delays with your Nomura, I wanted to assure you that I'd been through some delays and it all worked out and yours probably would too.   ;-)  Patience. 

By the way... this bike was in Oregon, that's where my childhood buddy lives, so that was another reason why I finally asked him about it.  I know there's mad bmx pickers up there.  I would have been so bummed if this had gone to some doofus who just spammed craigslist or something with want to buys. hahaha.

Such a rad bike and what an amazing story!

This bike is completely bananas on its own, but the back story makes it 10x more special.

I totally get the not wanting to ask thing. My most prized worldly possession, after I paid the original owner for it, I mentioned that I’d thought of contacting him previously to see if he wanted to sell, to which his response was something along the lines of “haha, don’t ask, don’t get.”

• Like 1

Fantastic back story to this and couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy. You deserve it man, congrats.

• Like 1

So, I just got back to Long Beach at 1am last night... this holiday trip to Kansas yielded some important insights into my Quadangle's history.

I was able to access some old photos that I hadn't seen in so long that I had TOTALLY forgotten about them.  That in turn helped shake loose some photos from my old buddy, Darrell, who was the first owner of the Quad.

None of us could remember the deal with the Landing Gear forks.  We suspected that Darrell was on the Quad in 1980, but we all know that Landing Gear don't seem to have been out prior to 1981.  

So first, I found pics of Kevin, with JMC forks on it. Kevin was the 2nd owner after Darrell, and Kevin is the old friend from Kansas that sold the Quadangle to me.  So that seemed to indicate that Kevin got the forks and put them on there.  But the old pics triggered a vague memory for Darrell, and he thinks that he took the solid dropout Landing Gears off of a PK Ripper he had, and sold those forks to Kevin, who then put the LG's on the Quadangle.

The exact scenario is still coming into focus... will update as necessary.

But wow... look at these amazing old photos from Kansas.  The first pics are Darrell racing the Quadangle with pretty sick set ups, pre-landing Gear it seems - but a couple of sick build iterations with both rims and graphite tuffs, and then there are pics of Kevin with the JMC forks.

So, to recap... pure Kansas chain of ownership, first owner was my buddy Darrell, and then my other buddy Kevin, who 30+ years later would sell the Quadangle to me. 

Darrell #11 vs Doug Prather (Skyway)

Darrell_Quadangle_blackplate_Doug_prather.jpg

Darrell #11 vs Copeland (? I think) 

Darrell_vs_Copeland_Quadangle_graphites.jpg

Darrell wheelieing the Quad with a graphite tuff build.

Darrell_Wheelie_Quadangle_graphites.jpg

Kevin with JMC forks on the Quad (so weird, I love it)

Kevin_zimerrer_quadangle_jmc_fork_starting_gate.jpgKevin_zimmerer_quadangle_jmc_fork.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool Steve. Being able to know your frames history is something many of us wish we knew. I’d love to be able to sit back and have a beer with my frames whilst the whittled on at me of days gone by.

• Like 1

Crazy to see how it looks now with the Landing Gears, which could suggest it always used to be that way. And then to see the awesome photos of its different evolution stages is just beyond. Thanks for sharing these Steve.

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow.

That quad is stunning. Absolutely stunning. You sure have an elite collection Steve. Very very tasteful.

And I really like the look of genuine, early, through bolt Bullseyes. They are great.

That's a killer bike, SB. I agree that having a bike that you know from back in the day is other-level cool. Enjoy.