What a great pic , Bicycle Motocross Action Feb 1980 

str1.jpg

• Like 3

yep, super rad

Stu_STR_1_Anthony_Sewell_ABA_grands.png

• Like 3

I had both images on my bedroom wall and I think I still have them somewhere.

Stu on the STR classic image of course.

I especially liked the racing shot. Stu for a brief minute with a Beavers (my LBS) co sponsor patch which happened late in 79 right before Redline.  I thnk Sewell on the Jag and of course Nachman on the goose bringing it on hard.

• Like 1

December 78 campaign

Stu_STR-1_Dec_1978.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looks good even with a coaster brake.                                             I’m not familiar with the STR-1 . I saw a couple of quads here and there BITD at the track but didn’t know about the STRs. Did other pro riders besides STU race it? They seem to be very rare. How many were made? 

Edited by dav451

4 hours ago, dav451 said:

Looks good even with a coaster brake.                                             I’m not familiar with the STR-1 . I saw a couple of quads here and there BITD at the track but didn’t know about the STRs. Did other pro riders besides STU race it? They seem to be very rare. How many were made? 

The true STR-1, with the under the bottom bracket tubing, that "cradles" the bottom bracket never was a production bike. A number of team riders probably rode one for testing and feedback purposes.  There are only 2 existing STR-1 frames known.

Note: Some people insist that what we know as the earliest loop tail quad was also an STR-1, even without the under the bb tubing. Some people also assert that there were quadangles out in 79 - beyond team riders, there is no objective evidence that is actually the case.

Below are photos of the  actual STR-1's known to the community.  The first one was this one:

str_1.lennyB.jpgSTR_1_BottomBracket_detail.jpg

and the more recent one that surfaced a couple years ago is this one:

Ross_STR_1_sideview.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the clear and informative answer. It’s amazing that these are the only two found. 

Edited by dav451
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, S.Brothers said:

December 78 campaign

Stu_STR-1_Dec_1978.png

Excellent Pic 

Tan & Brown Quad - SE just had the colours BITD

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, S.Brothers said:

The true STR-1, with the under the bottom bracket tubing, that "cradles" the bottom bracket never was a production bike. A number of team riders probably rode one for testing and feedback purposes.  There are only 2 existing STR-1 frames known.

Note: Some people insist that what we know as the earliest loop tail quad was also an STR-1, even without the under the bb tubing. Some people also assert that there were quadangles out in 79 - beyond team riders, there is no objective evidence that is actually the case.

Below are photos of the  actual STR-1's known to the community.  The first one was this one:

str_1.lennyB.jpgSTR_1_BottomBracket_detail.jpg

and the more recent one that surfaced a couple years ago is this one:

Ross_STR_1_sideview.jpg

Re the under the bottem bracket STR-1:  I was not aware of the 2nd one found. What is the story with that? Because from a quick glance it looks quite a bit different from the known prototype STR 1.

I have one of the early (serial number less than 00150) prodution STR-1 downtubes not under the bottem bracket. 

I got mine in either late 79 ( November 79) or no later than Feb 1980. I purchased it as an STR-1 from Beavers AKA McConnell Racing Pro Service)  a shop that was especially tight at that time with SE including Scot, Stu, PK and Rod not to mention others.  So far my prior research has narrowed it to a that window+/-. I may be able to narrow it further with added looking at my 40+/- year old records.

My only point is that before Stu went to Redline, the multi angle frames as shown were actively marketed (see some of the attached data and Wes BMX and other catalogus) as STR-1. This of course includes the frame(s) that Stu rode (Proof of concept/prototype) but also the first batch (#00001 to 00150+/-) of frames released to the public.

Stay tuned.

I will add that I am not trying to be combative with Steve Brothers, only to add my view of such history.

For the record I am a fan of what Steve does and writes about.

13 hours ago, Curt said:

Re the under the bottem bracket STR-1:  I was not aware of the 2nd one found. What is the story with that? Because from a quick glance it looks quite a bit different from the known prototype STR 1.

I have one of the early (serial number less than 00150) prodution STR-1 downtubes not under the bottem bracket. 

I got mine in either late 79 ( November 79) or no later than Feb 1980. I purchased it as an STR-1 from Beavers AKA McConnell Racing Pro Service)  a shop that was especially tight at that time with SE including Scot, Stu, PK and Rod not to mention others.  So far my prior research has narrowed it to a that window+/-. I may be able to narrow it further with added looking at my 40+/- year old records.

My only point is that before Stu went to Redline, the multi angle frames as shown were actively marketed (see some of the attached data and Wes BMX and other catalogus) as STR-1. This of course includes the frame(s) that Stu rode (Proof of concept/prototype) but also the first batch (#00001 to 00150+/-) of frames released to the public.

Stay tuned.

I will add that I am not trying to be combative with Steve Brothers, only to add my view of such history.

For the record I am a fan of what Steve does and writes about.

Not trying to be a smart ass but there are plenty threads on here that cover this super interesting subject. Such as this one:

https://bmxsociety.com/topic/60301-str-1-this-again/

• Like 1

Does that family still hold that second STR1 or did it end up in Thailand?

No worries re the comment. What is funny is that on other thread I made comments about that 2nd STR so I did at one time know something about that 2nd STR. The 2nd STR  thread is a neat story and a frame that appears to be the real deal.

Note to self: Working too much.

14 hours ago, Curt said:

No worries re the comment. What is funny is that on other thread I made comments about that 2nd STR so I did at one time know something about that 2nd STR. The 2nd STR  thread is a neat story and a frame that appears to be the real deal.

Note to self: Working too much.

Note to you: YOU'RE OLD :)