Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

22 inch BMX in the January 83 BMX Plus

I had no recollection of this... pretty interesting, though sounds like they should not have gone the ultra budget route.  If people were interested, and based on the quotes, seems they were... probably should have just made something quality to kick it all off.

Aerolite Tech 2200

Aerolite_22inch_1_83_BMXplus_p1-2.png

Aerolite_22inch_1_83_BMXplus_p3.png

• Like 1

Wow, that's interesting!

We got a FIT Twenty Two in at our shop recently. It's incredible. I long ago kind of swore off 20" bikes, it's been cruisers only for me for quite a while. I built a Sunday 24 and test rode it, it was fun, then immediately after built and rode the Twenty Two. It was amazing, way more comfortable than even the 24. I can't quite explain it, but that thing just feels great. It's stretched out in all the right spots, they really nailed it. Almost makes me want to get a 22.

• Like 1

Super interesting subject. I never knew there were 22" bikes in the 80s.

• Like 1

I totally remember this. I was 6'1" and I thought something a bit larger than twenty would be perfect. 26 seemed to big to me and I wasn't quite sold on 24. When this article came out, I was kind of hoping for a revolution, since I thought it was the perfect solution. It seems I remember Stu making remarks about the size, but can't remember if it was pro or con.

A few years back when I saw the 22" Fit, I commented to my son that it wasn't a new idea and that it was tossed around a bit in the '80s.

• Like 1

I have a first batch 22" Holmes. Much more comfortable than a 20". 

• Like 1

I know a guy in Cali that was just telling me about this bitd even Zrims had a 22” out then. 

Cool article.

I got to ride a 22" Yess at the Grands a few years ago.  Rode it around the pits and it felt GREAT  - super stable.  Felt like a kid again!

I believe they are still making it as a custom order frame.

As mentioned above, FitBike makes a 22 that looks very Mongoose-ish in appearance. Chrome, rainbow prism decals in the Mongoose style with very similar looking font. I came really close to getting one, but opted to build up a 20" instead.

I like how the article  included RRS and Joe Claveau. He was one of the best riders bitd.

D210E919-6544-481D-83B7-D8372D344458.jpeg

• Like 2

GT prototyped a 22. I had an email years ago from one of the GT factory riders (Craig Bark maybe?) telling me about it. He told me that a handful of the factory riders tooled around on it, and tested it on some local tracks. Unfortunately, I've lost the email :(