Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Update: Everything changed for me in Summer 2019 (not BMX specifically though there are some tie ins)

Well folks,

I've been pretty scarce around the site since we got everything fixed and the new site up in the beginning of August.

The reason is that SO MUCH changed in my life last month.  

You see... I know longer live in Long Beach, CA.  I moved to Oregon.

IMG_5640.jpeg

In the very beginning of August, I was literally driving up to Oregon on a scouting mission for places to move to, and work, as I was getting messages from the web developers who fixed the cluster fuck that I'd gotten into with the new server etc.

That all worked out that afternoon with the website after months of obstacles.  It was the beginning of a whole new period, in fact, of things working out for me.  I had become used to shit not going my way. It's been a struggle the last few years.  I don't want to dwell on that at this point.

So, here's the deal:  I live in Eagle Point, Oregon now.  It's a little town in Southern Oregon

My wife and I both work for Jim Belushi.  I grow cannabis and she is in the packaging department most of the time.  We work at Jim's farm.

My boss is BMX hall of famer and Rick's Bike Shop alumni, Thom Lund.  Best manager I EVER had.  Thom is the man.

This is my dream job. It's been a LONG time since I could honestly say, "I love my job".  But I can say that now... and mean it.  I was made for this shit.  I freaking love it. 

Also... life in a small town - haven't done that for a very long time, arguably never as an adult.  So far, so good! Takes me about 8-10 minutes to get to work at the farm.  My commute in Los Angeles was NEVER less than an hour and 20 minutes... often two hours etc. Fuck that. It's soul crushing. 

I love living in Oregon. Zero regrets... the only bad thing is that a handful of homies are far away now. Especially my neighborhood partner in crime, LBshane... he doesn't know it yet, but he will move to Oregon too.  :homies:  :cheers:

IMG_5645.jpeg

IMG_5622.jpeg

IMG_5641.jpeg

IMG_5642.jpeg

IMG_5646.jpeg

IMG_5614.jpeg

• Like 7

Good for you!!! I was sooooo like "who goes to Oregon on vacation on purpose?" Now I get it. I cannot imagine ever living in LA or anything close to that size. I live in a town of 2500 that is literally 25 miles to the closest town. It is therapuetic. You will love it. The weather will be an adjustment from the LBC but I'm happy for you. Shane in Oregon? Good luck!! LOL. 

How close are you to Dan, Mark, and Gary?

• Like 1

4 hours from the Portland dudes.  Pete Loncarevich is local down here though... and of course the homeslice mmmitsajelly Jake lives minutes away and was Incredibly helpful... literally not sure how I would have pulled some of this off without him. Indebted. 

John Palfreyman is local too. Lots of BMX folks around it seems

also... you remember this of course:

Quadangle_Kansas_Special_SBrothers.jpg

well, my old neighborhood buddy from Kansas, that I got this off of last year, lives about 20 mins away, so this bike is back in Southern Oregon. Interesting I thought... though this time with a different Kansan. 

• Like 2

Steve, so happy for you, truly living the dream, surrounded by good people, in a beautiful place, and doing something you love. Best of luck with this new chapter.

• Thanks 1

Man, I’m happy that you’re happy. I’d never be able to handle LA life.   I feel guilty not knowing any of this but I’ll make an effort to call you soon.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kerry said:

Man, I’m happy that you’re happy. I’d never be able to handle LA life.   I feel guilty not knowing any of this but I’ll make an effort to call you soon.  

ah... nobody knew... it happened so fast. All within a month.  Wild. 

Rad! This sounds great. Usually it's impossible to decipher tone in online discussions, but this post sounds like it was made by a happy and relaxed person. I know when I made the big move from NYC to Des Moines, my whole outlook changed. Things were really put in perspective when spring broke and I walked out my back door and stopped for a little bunny running across my stoop, in Brooklyn that was always a rat. Super stoked for you! Looks like you've got some good new riding spots too. 

• Thanks 1

It’s all very exciting news. And it sounds like it is all GOOD news too! Like everyone, I am surprised. I wasn’t sure what was happening, but didn’t want to seem nosy by sniffing around in your business. I hope you and your wife flourish in the new location. As usual, the things you are doing sound intriguing, and I look forward to seeing and hearing more about it all. Congratulations to you Steve!

• Like 1

Cool you are local to the guys listed. Totally wild about the Quad and your friend too. When Shane sent me the pic of you in Gary's basement, I swore he photoshopped it and he told me the whole story but I wasnt gonna bounce you about it. So glad it all worked in your favor. 

Unrelated....put me in the will for that Quad. :)

• Like 2

All the best to you and your wife. Truly sounds like a dream. 

• Like 1

Cripes... my bro lived there until a couple of years ago. He lives in Gold Hill now with a big piece of land and horses... his dream. Good to hear you are doing well.

• Like 1

That's awesome Steve. I go up to Ashland occasionally, just because it's a cool town and only a 5 hour drive. Have to catch up next time. 

Doug

• Like 1

Pffft, Oregon. Yeah, well growing weed with Jim Belushi could be cool.... if that's your thing. 

I just want to take this opportunity to announce that I have a recent opening on the LB Peninsula Bench if any parties are interested, PM me your application. Must have vast knowledge of early SE Racing and S&M and also the ability to kill an 18-pack of Tecate is a must!! 

Oh and congrats I guess too (peace sign emoji, etc.) 

Justin.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wow!?!  I loved the time I spent in OR and I know you will love it too.  Big ups homie, made love!

• Like 1

Word up my G!!!!  

Super happy for you guys.  Glad it all went smooth.   

7 hours ago, lbshane1 said:

Pffft, Oregon. Yeah, well growing weed with Jim Belushi could be cool.... if that's your thing. 

I just want to take this opportunity to announce that I have a recent opening on the LB Peninsula Bench if any parties are interested, PM me your application. Must have vast knowledge of early SE Racing and S&M and also the ability to kill an 18-pack of Tecate is a must!! 

Justin.jpg

is this position still open? I can't do the early SE knowledge, but bring NorCal ingenuity...would also like to know if tele commute is a possibility as the commute would not be great.

Can drink like its free and am no stranger to sleeping in bushes...

• Haha 2

Have family up the road in Roseburg. They send pictures every now and then, really looks nice up that way. 

• Like 1

Wtf....post a pic with your boss.  

Tell him to stop through here every now and then.  

23 hours ago, lbshane1 said:

Justin.jpg

I don't know what is better. Your avatar in the OM's Prom suit or this pic. I literally LOL'd. I thought I was a shoe-in for that spot. Now I'm cancelling my LBC moving plans......

• Like 2

Work parties are interesting at the new job... you never know; even Elwood Blues might show up.

IMG_5665.mov

• Like 1

That was awesome! Can’t wait to see Dan in the new ghostbusters movie. I’ll bet that golden ticket  in that envelope is worth a pretty penny.

Edited by dav451
  • Like 1

Late to the party and great to read this update Steve. I've spent a decent amount of time in various parts of Southern California and never thought it was your type of place. Only spent a few days in Portland, Oregon and that state seems more your style. I hope to spend more time exploring the Pacific Northwest one day. Weather is the limiting factor so it's a small window of opportunity each year.

Doing something you enjoy is the bonus. Good luck!