Sign in to follow this  
sweetasian

All original 1988 GT Vertigo St.

Hi all! First post ever on any type of forum, but I’m looking for some good information on the value of this bike. I’ve done some research, and I can confirm that all parts are original. Lucked up and bought this from a father who bought his son this bike new in 1988, and kept it in his barn for the last 30 years. Any help and information on it would be greatly appreciated!!

5584D10A-B61E-4BB1-8D7F-FF5E9D0BC17F.jpe

3A6E2FCA-4131-4074-A888-3A49A5E940F7.jpe

DC0912CB-828F-4377-B66D-39AA108C4D74.jpe

CAC70281-D638-417A-AA14-B49FAA9E4FC5.jpe

6E00799F-6211-4FD1-8228-2768DDE32AF0.jpe

Edited by sweetasian

1988 was the first year the Vertigo was made. Until then, the Performer was the entry level GT, then they introduced the Vertigo. It was Vertigo, Performer, Pro Performer, Pro Freestyle Tour and the top of the line Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model. Vertigo had the same frame as the Performer, made in Taiwan I believe. Memory fades, but I think the front triangle is 4130 and rear stays are Hi-Ten. This is a sweet bike that is in incredible condition. Just looks a bit dirty. As for value, I honestly have no clue. I used to watch mid-late 80s GT freestyle prices like a hawk, but haven't for years. All I know is that this era has gone up a lot in recent years. I'd do a completed auction listing on ebay. Please do not part it out, that bike is a time capsule. 

Here's a 1988 GT catalog. https://issuu.com/pharv85/docs/gt_1988

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First of all, thanks so much for the information!!!  I didn’t see this bike in the catalog though. Not sure, but I think I read somewhere that they only made the Vertigo St. Version for a year or two. I knew it was special as soon as I saw it. I haven’t done anything to it since I brought it home. Thanks again for the info! 

4 hours ago, MelvinsArmy said:

1988 was the first year the Vertigo was made. Until then, the Performer was the entry level GT, then they introduced the Vertigo. It was Vertigo, Performer, Pro Performer, Pro Freestyle Tour and the top of the line Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model. Vertigo had the same frame as the Performer, made in Taiwan I believe. Memory fades, but I think the front triangle is 4130 and rear stays are Hi-Ten. This is a sweet bike that is in incredible condition. Just looks a bit dirty. As for value, I honestly have no clue. I used to watch mid-late 80s GT freestyle prices like a hawk, but haven't for years. All I know is that this era has gone up a lot in recent years. I'd do a completed auction listing on ebay. Please do not part it out, that bike is a time capsule. 

Here's a 1988 GT catalog. https://issuu.com/pharv85/docs/gt_1988

No problem. It’s on page 7 of the catalog. The one in the catalog is black, the bike was offered in several colors. 

9B40AEAD-5A09-4EB9-B4D8-976FB03663D6.jpeg

• Like 1