Sign in to follow this  
Brian Hays

Powerlite SRX info needed

Just bought this og chrome and decals 20" Powerlite frame and fork. It was advertised as an 82 but I think it's newer than that. I know the serial doesn't mean anything but it is 86078 on the UNDERSIDE of the brake bridge. 18" top tube. Any year and model info appreciated. I've searched the web and haven't really seen much solid info.

srx6.jpg

srx8.jpg

srx7.jpg

srx9.jpg

srx10.jpg

srx5.jpg

srx4.jpg

srx3.jpg

srx2.jpg

srx1.jpg

• Like 1

I'm thinking it's going to be an 86. I had an 85 long top tube that I sold to Contender years ago and I believe the serial started with 85. Same location. 

Doug

• Like 1

this is kinda bad ass

• Like 1

So obviously the 86 in the serial is the year. The earlier serials meant nothing. 

Found this at Rainers bike shop website . It didn’t have the original source.

F2005F84-72C8-4A47-A578-55C0B74A282B.jpeg

Edited by dav451
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Hays said:

Did it have a date on the ad?

Sorry no. I searched for the source without any luck. I’m surprised there’s not much info out there. I remember they were very popular.                                  Just found this on vintage bmx ads.

B73FCE33-F55E-44D7-B472-8AA340C504C6.png

Edited by dav451

we need a powerlite history thread probably.  How long did the Rink family own Powerlite?  

8 hours ago, S.Brothers said:

we need a powerlite history thread probably.  How long did the Rink family own Powerlite?  

Here's a link. Mark Rink comments many times in the comments. Looks like Rinks sold Powerlite to Rob Lynch in 83 or 84 and then GT bought Powerlite, Robinson and Auburn in 1988.

https://powerlite.wordpress.com/about/

On 10/26/2019 at 9:52 AM, dav451 said:

Sorry no. I searched for the source without any luck. I’m surprised there’s not much info out there. I remember they were very popular.                                  Just found this on vintage bmx ads.

B73FCE33-F55E-44D7-B472-8AA340C504C6.png

Thank you!!!

I would say after 83, likely 84/85. 

I was still using the plain Powerlite decals with a little shadow in the font but no lines horizontal in the letters. (In 83) 

Also the headtube font is different on the later models. 

Also the round chrome decals did not have the frame model within the sticker, prior. They were just universal rounds used for bars, posts, and the seat tubes on the frames. 

On 11/20/2019 at 9:00 AM, Contender said:

I would say after 83, likely 84/85. 

I was still using the plain Powerlite decals with a little shadow in the font but no lines horizontal in the letters. (In 83) 

Also the headtube font is different on the later models. 

Also the round chrome decals did not have the frame model within the sticker, prior. They were just universal rounds used for bars, posts, and the seat tubes on the frames. 

Thank you!!