Sign in to follow this  
keep_it_warm

The next best thing to having my original bike

When I raced BMX, we were living in a very small town in southeast, lower Michigan. I had a close group of friends and we all shared the same love of the sport. We raced regularly. Always locally, but we did it regularly. From 1980-1984 bikes were how we filled our days. Riding, jumping, racing, doing tricks...our bikes took us everywhere. We rode to school nearly every day (2.5 miles each way) - even in winter.

As time moved on and we reached the age of driving, the bikes were used less and less. I was the first one, regrettably, who sold my last childhood bike. 1982 Hutch Pro Racer sold for $125 in my parents yard sale in the Summer of 1984 to raise money to buy my first car (which I do still own). But when I rediscovered BMX and collecting, it always bothered me that I had sold my bike, especially having been born and raised by 'saver' and 'collector' type parents.. Years pass...decades pass...until September of this year. In a passing conversation with one of my old friends, he mentions that he is willing to sell his bike, which, ironically enough, is also a 1982 Hutch pro Racer.

I asked for pictures. He sent them. It was like looking into 1982. We worked out a price. He was happy and I am happy. I own a 1982 Pro Racer again. A Pro Racer I actually rode in 1982. It's not MY original bike, but it's the closest I will ever come to it...

Nothing on the bike is dated past 1982 other than the obvious - tires and grips.

• Hutch f/f
  • CW Pro bars
  • Ame Tri's (not bubble font)
  • Pro Neck stem
  • Beartrap 2 headset
  • Tech 2 Lever
  • MX1000 caliper (April 1982)
  • Viscount seat
  • Post??? Generic, I believe - and bent)
  • Tuf Neck seat clamp
  • Dura Ace cranks (175, October 1979)
  • Shimano DX pedals (February, 1981)
  • Araya 7X
  • Sunshine Gyromaster hubs (December, 1981)
  • Zeronine Airflow plate
  • Knock off Comp 3 tread tires

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

Very cool. Overspray on the crank arm from a pedal touch up?

At least you can remember selling your Hutch Pro Racer. Then again, might be better that I can't remember which means I can't remember the sale price either.

Yes. Overspray. Not sure what to do there? Leave the pedals/cranks as-is? Or clean them (remove overspray). I like the idea of leaving it. If I cleaned it...it would simply be for something to do. The bike has been totally disassembled. I'm working today, but I plan to repack everything, true the wheels, and reassemble. Thoughts on swapping out the tires and grips for era correct?

WOW, very nice surviver. If it were me I would go era correct if possible just because everything else is. Reissued are ok but if the real deal pops up I’d swap them out. I’m still  hoping for a 1.75 Mitsuboshi comp 2 to roll my way at the right price. 

Edited by dav451

Let's see a pic of your daughter with it.  How old is she now?  My son turns 7 this month.  I would love to have a few beers with you again...made love homie!

• Like 1

Dope bike man !!!            

4 hours ago, The 26incher said:

Let's see a pic of your daughter with it.  How old is she now?  My son turns 7 this month.  I would love to have a few beers with you again...made love homie!

Jason! Ava is 15 now. A sophomore in high school! She's driving (on her learners permit). It's crazy!  So cool to hear from you.

this is a rad story and excellent bike... this is a very similar situation to me acquiring the old neighborhood quad from one of my old friends last year.  It IS still magical to throw a leg over a bike you knew personally back in the day, even if not your own... a good piece from the inner neighborhood circle is a wonderful stand in for the long gone personal piece.

Great looking bike.  

• Like 1

goo off or similar would probably take that overspray off in a flash if you were so inclined.  I probably would, though I can appreciate leaving it too.

:rawks:  

dope you found a bike that was part of your OG posse.  It’s a cool one too.