Sign in to follow this  
Coupes

New Old Stems (NOT FAKES)

Hey guys. 

What started as an email between myself and Linn Kastan about a seatclamp I made from some stem clamps for my 77 Proline got interesting. 

Linn was impressed and a few days later emailed back with this 1st picture. 

He had stem parts and clamps left over from making double clamps. Some stems tack welded but most just parts that had been left over. Some clamps the casting didn't make the cut.

Asking about if anyone would be interested he said he would finish a stem and let me know. 

A few weeks passed and emailed me and said he would send a sample stem. 

I was really stoked when the parcel arrived!!!! 

All parts are 40+ years old. New tig welded and nickel plated plus red anno clamps. Stem shafts knurled and he will certificate each stem. 

He is finishing 19 stems and seat clamps at the moment. 

All accounted for now. 

He came up with the idea with red anno or sanded top clamps. 

The 2nd picture looked pink in the picture so said can he get darker anno. 

3rd picture is what he kindly sent me. 

Screenshot_20191016-212315_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190921-231602_Gallery.jpg

20191016_114302.jpg

• Like 2

Still welding today.

The stem actually got chromed as the plater forgot.

The red anno seatclamp really is cherry.

20191016_114745.jpg

received_2308862706041254.jpeg

20191016_114340.jpg

WOW! I can’t stop looking at the parts in the box. That’s way cool.

Dav I just got in bed and checked emails. Nearly fell out of bed seeing the pic :Want:

• Like 1

Just so I have it straight the gooseneck is un used stock clamps from the 70s mated to stem bases made now. Both of course by Linn Kastan.

Very cool!

• Like 1

Curt all the stem base parts were either tack welded or not welded at all. All hardwear and clamps original too. 

Left over when the Brute stem was the next must have for guys. 

My bullshit meter is pegging the gauge. Wayyyyyy too many red flags here. Old stock, my ass. Nice knurling that was NEVER used. This just puts Lin in the same boat as Sal Correa. Yayyyyy more fakes. You can lie and dress up a pig and put lipstick on it. It's still a fucking pig and these are NEW produced parts, NOT old stock. FACT! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Brian seriously these are 100% not fake. I wouldn't post if I thought they were. The stem he gave me the clamps and hardwear all original. Clamps all rough cast and not all the same casting 

Base plates not lazer/water cut or anything. 1st thing I checked. 

As for knurling I asked and he decided to use it. So they can be recognized as 1 of the 20. 

He still has stuff that wasn't finished or plated at his shop. 

The only things that is new are welds, plating, anno and the inserts for the seatclamp. 

No bullshit!!! 

Forgive me if I'm wary of the "old stuff, assembled now" stuff.

Essentially, if it didn't exist in whole form back then, its not "real" vintage parts.

We've been through the Skyways and Champion frames made from "newly found" stock....accept it for what it is, but just call it newly made or whatever. I mean if its all real, except welds, plating, anno and the inserts than its a new product.

Something ain't right here, don't know what it is, but I'm less than thrilled these are out. In the beginning, this was such a seldom seen part that some thought they didn't exist. Now to find out there were boxes of parts left. Next thing you know, the prototype flite cranks will mysteriously appear.

10 hours ago, mmmmitsajelly said:

Forgive me if I'm wary of the "old stuff, assembled now" stuff.

Essentially, if it didn't exist in whole form back then, its not "real" vintage parts.

We've been through the Skyways and Champion frames made from "newly found" stock....accept it for what it is, but just call it newly made or whatever. I mean if its all real, except welds, plating, anno and the inserts than its a new product.

Something ain't right here, don't know what it is, but I'm less than thrilled these are out. In the beginning, this was such a seldom seen part that some thought they didn't exist. Now to find out there were boxes of parts left. Next thing you know, the prototype flite cranks will mysteriously appear.

The clue is in the title. 25 stem bases or parts for bases Linn had. 20 for sale. 5 he is keeping or giving out to friends. 

20 not 200 or anything. All will be certificated saying made with old parts and bases welded recently. 

No one is out to fool anyone as I wouldn't be part of this. 

As for cranks he wouldn't make prototype copies as he said some broke in testing. 

I'm with Brian and Jake on this one. These aren't old stems. They are new product. He may have no intentions whatsoever of misleading anyone, but that doesn't mean whoever buys them shares that sentiment. It has happened time and time again. One of those stems will end up on a bike, and that bike will  be sold, and then sold again, and the fact is is not OG will not be disclosed. As far as I am concerned, these stems will be suspect from this point forward. 

47 minutes ago, wagonguy said:

I'm with Brian and Jake on this one. These aren't old stems. They are new product. He may have no intentions whatsoever of misleading anyone, but that doesn't mean whoever buys them shares that sentiment. It has happened time and time again. One of those stems will end up on a bike, and that bike will  be sold, and then sold again, and the fact is is not OG will not be disclosed. As far as I am concerned, these stems will be suspect from this point forward. 

DING DING DING. You took the words right out of my mouth. Coupe, NO ONE thinks you or Lin are trying to be shady. It's the rest of the worthless human race I'm worried about.

• Like 2

Brian and wagonguy sadly anything is copied these days. High end to low end. Boils my piss tbh. Yes further down the line people can get duped. Not cool. 

Reason with these I asked Linn to certificate each stem. Saying all parts original but new welds ect... So guys know. 

I help run the Redline appreciation page on faceache and we are fully aware of fake stems from all over that have been made badly with mig welds and made to look older with acids or the like. Mainly Australian made. Now some made in Mexico. 

Always ask guys to check welds or send me pictures so I can advise them on the real deal or fake. 

Those certificates can easily end up in a trash can when someone unethical decides to get a few more dollars by claiming his stem is OG. This is a point that repoppers NEVER accept. Even Re-issues by original makers that aren't properly marked or changed in a way that is not changeable. Like Brian said, I don't think for a minute that you or Linn would try to mislead someone. It's after that fact that it becomes an issue. And it will 100%.

• Like 2

Linns shop is full of parts he has kept for years. Some finished and some not and boxed up. Prototype ideas and production parts. 

He sent this picture of a chainrings adaptor plate to use with flight cranks on geared road bikes. He was so busy with Redline it got shelved. 

received_360534224825500.jpeg

• Like 1

That brace on the bottom of the stem would have been a good spot to have welded on a badge or medallion showing it was one of so many of the 2019 production run. Not just tacked but fully welded like some of the Robinsons' had.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm with you guys thinking that there should be something stamped or welded on to these stems to indicate that they are not the "real deal" made in late 70's and early 80's.  These are such an iconic stem and it's definitely a drag that someone might pay some big money thinking they're getting something old and rare, not something someone finished making last week. 

• Like 1