Sign in to follow this  
sodbuster

Things change.

My BMX collecting and restoring has been fairly stagnant over the last few years. Few new bikes no new bike projects. I have been attending and competing in shows though, until this year.

This year I have been going to shows but as a seller. Anyone that knows me knows I rarely sell. I always come to show. I rarely won anything but always in full support of event with no expectations other than having fun with fun people. It’s been that way fo me for the better part of 20 years.

But the one thing that has always bugged me was much of what I collected and restored spent most of the time stored or packed away in storage. Put out of sight not easy to access and even harder to enjoy, not like I would prefer.

So I pondered it and thought about it a lot. My course was clear. It’s time to thin the collection. So that is what I’m doing. It’s something that I’ve been putting off for the last couple of years. I call it “A shifting of assets.”

I started with my parts stash and a few bikes. I showed up at the Van Nuys show and sold off a bunch of stuff. I’ve been to two BMX shows and a bike swapmeet since.

I'm not getting out I’m still keeping key bikes just not the 30 I had. I am not hurting financially either. So why you may ask? Simple. All the money will be put into rust removal as well as body and paint work for my 1971 VW camper. Taking it out of one hobby and into another.

at this point I really do not know yet  exactly how much in “assets” I’ll need to shift so I will be doing this in phases. It will be interesting. It has been so far.

• Like 1

Good luck with your new camper resto. Thinning I'm sure there will be a queue for parts. 

53 minutes ago, Coupes said:

Good luck with your new camper resto. Thinning I'm sure there will be a queue for parts. 

Oh it’s not a new camper. I’ve been enjoying it for over 15 years. Mechanically it’s solid, but as for the body it’s just time to take care of it. As for parts it’s 75% sold already. I parted out two builds and don’t care for it. I’ve sold some complete bikes and have been much more satisfied doing that.

• Like 1

As a fan of bicycles and cars, inlcuding old VWs, I am not seeing any issues at all.

Seeing more and more of this. Happy for you Sod but sad at the same time. Hate to see more of the "OG's" taking another step towards getting out. I personally had a conversation last night with a friend about maybe having a key "flipper" in the hobby come to my house (he's pretty local) and make me an offer on all of it. Every bike, every frameset, every part and every magazine. Just be done and not look back. The greed and flipper mentality has absolutely ruined it for me. Every single "score" thread is followed nearly 15 minutes later by a for sale thread. Kills me how we are all suppose to be a "community" yet these guys post "score score score" that they paid $100 for a complete nice bike at a thrift store or wherever and have it instantly for sale for $1600 to the "bro's". Ya, thanks for the hook up, homie......:rolleyes:. I also have NEVER attended any BMX show in 15 years because I have an EXTREMELY low tolerance for the stupid fucking human race.  I spend some time every single day thinking "why do I have all this bmx stuff?" The scumbags have killed it for me and I don't do shows so why have any of it??? It's seriously taking up a complete room that could be used for so many other things. Don't even get me started on Facebook. It will be the death of all human intelligence. Sorry. End rant. Hope it works out in your favor Sod. You are one of the good guys in the hobby who truly "get it".

• Like 1

Totally understand it Sod.  i think about doing the same thing all the time.   I still enjoy collecting and building bikes but question the keeping of so much stuff.  I'll get to thinning things out one day, i'm just too lazy to do it right now.  

On another note, I thoroughly enjoy your bikes and displays at the shows... and always cool hanging with you.  Glad you're not completely "getting out".  

• Like 1

No not completely out. I still have a great fondness for this hobby. Just as I’ve been a VW guy since childhood. So not all of it will go if I can help it. Some things will be harder to sell than others. That’s  why I’m doing this in stages. Hoping it will allow me to keep as many as possible.

And as for you Mr. Hayes. Despite the flipper assholes and the internet bullshit I’m sure there is much in your personal collection that still gives you great pleasure. That is where you need to dwell, and just forget the rest.  

• Like 1

I can understand spending money on cars instead of bikes..ive got a GTO that eats up money at times..they both bring enjoyment. 

As for guys in the hobby i dont like i just avoid contact...same goes for bmx racing...i just steer clear,im not going to miss out on my fun because of a minority. Ive made great friends over my lifetime racing and will continue to in the future...enjoy that VW Sodbuster!

I can chime in here. I stepped way back in about 2012. Sold 95% of my parts and all but two old school completes. Very similar to Brian...I sort of shifted hobbies. I got back into baseball card collecting with the goal of completing some of the sets I never finished as a kid (I still have all my old cards).

Again...similar to BMX and most every hobby, I got burned on the last two high dollar cards I needed to complete a set. I spent a lot of money after taking a lot of time to research the seller, the card, etc....and still got burned TWICE with "altered" cards. I was fortunate to get my money back, but it completely popped my balloon. I was so mad and embarrassed to get taken two times.

I remember thinking, "Fuck this! I'm going back to bikes...bikes are more fun anyway".

So, in May of 2019, I jumped back in the BMX pool. The prices of things SUCK compared to 10-15 years ago, but the fun and excitement of trying to track down just the right parts is most definitely still there. In 2012, I felt burnt. In 2019, I feel great! Happy to be back and eager to re-learn everything I have forgotten.

As for you, Brian...you've always been one of the guys who seemed so 'immersed' in the scene. I sure hope you never get out totally. You're a good person whose knowledge I've always respected.

I think it’s totally understandable to wind it down gracefully from a crescendo, so to speak. The love for it never leaves our brains/hearts and it’s normal to see the physical beginning and end through it’s course. 

Of course, the end is never really the end. Many of us will always keep a few cherished parts or a bike or two given the opportunity... These mementos or vestigial assets may be a far cry from where we once maxed out in the collection part of the “hobby”, but the lineage cannot be erased. We can always relive our past through positive memories and existing documentation.

Notwithstanding the hypothesis above, I wholeheartedly think it’s good to sell off our best assets when we wind it down... I think the reason is logical and humane... Why not let others either cherish, trade, use and abuse anything we no longer covet physically. At the very least , it allows the objects to some how live on in some last and hopefully meaningful way... For they too will one day seize to “live”. 

• Like 2

I never collected at the level most people posting in this thread do/did. But I did collect. I stopped collecting or even hunting vintage bmx a few years back. I still love it. Still love to see other people's bikes. Still love it when a classic rolls into the shop. But I just don't have the interest in chasing stuff any more. I never got burned out by the hobby, although the newer crop of collectors didn't help keep me interested. I really like retro bmx cruisers, I've got 4 and my wife has one too. I don't have the little voice in my head saying "don't fuck this bike up" when I ride it. Also, the proportions make me feel like I'm an 11 year old again on a 20". That's what I'm after. The feeling. Everything else is trinkets and trivia. I got way too caught up in that. It's actually a bit of a relief to have forgotten the exact specs of each bike in the 1987 GT freestyle catalog. 

I've moved on, at least as a collector. Still 100% enthusiast though. As for switching hobbies... I have a bit of a guitar problem. Vintage bmx is a cheaper hobby, maybe I should try to switch back. 

• Like 2