Sign in to follow this  
keep_it_warm

COMPLETE: 1976 Dan Gurney Eagle

First new project from me since 2010!

This project came about during a random conversation with Dan Goins back in early July of this year. He sent me pictures of this frame and a different Redline fork. It looked fantastic and I was immediately interested. We came to an agreement and the search for cool-looking parts was on....

I really like the way everything turned out. I saw the morning fog yesterday, and I sprung into action....there are NOT many good photo opportunities in Michigan in late November. I hope everyone gets a kick out of it. Nearly 10 years in the making....

• FRAME: Dan Gurney Eagle looptail with Cook Brothers gussets
  • FORK: Redline nickel
  • HEADSET: Schwinn
  • STEM: Schwinn
  • HANDLEBARS: Dan Gurney
  • GRIPS: O.G.K.
  • PLATE: old motorcross
  • SEAT CLAMP: 70's SR road stem cut off
  • SEAT POST: solid aluminum
  • SEAT: Selle Italia Grand-Prix
  • CRANKS & BB: Schwinn
  • PEDALS: KKT
  • SPROCKET: Three Arrows
  • CHAIN: Union
  • FRONT HUB: ACS
  • REAR HUB: Bendix Red Band turned down
  • RIMS: Weinmann 2.125
  • TIRES: Cheng Shin
  • PADS: Vinyl snap

IMG_2127.jpgIMG_2134.jpgIMG_2145.jpgIMG_2147.jpgIMG_2136.jpgIMG_2129.jpgIMG_2142.jpgIMG_2143.jpgIMG_2140.jpgIMG_7954.jpgIMG_1710.jpgIMG_1709.jpgIMG_1719.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

• Like 7

Awesome build Tom. Glad to see someone lightened the seat to make up for the TWO pound rear hub !! LOL

• Haha 1

That came out real sweet! The turned down rear hub is the bomb! Vintage race trickery. 

• Thanks 1

I ended up finding that hub in the back yard! Actually, my dads back yard. He has LOTS of old balloon tire Schwinns and a few of them are returning to Earth...FAST! So I asked him if I could take the hubs off two of the worst bikes. One was a replacement for my favorite neighborhood cruiser...the other one, more pitted, was a perfect candidate for the lathe. I know that BMXA told its readers "you can remove 4 ounces" or something crazy like that....but I only had the one hub, and I didn't want to push it too far. I didn't take a picture of the before weight, but I believe it was about 2.7-3 ounces removed. The damn thing still weighed in at 2lbs (packed with new grease).

• Like 1

I used Bendix red band hubs on most all my race bikes and had no clue they were that thick.  Although I was never all that concerned about weight or 'trickness' back then. I just wanted sturdy components. LOL I also do not ever recall that seat post clamp set up. Brilliant!!!!! I'm lovin the time period rust on the seat guts too, very authentic. ;-) 

• Like 2

man, it's perfect

• Thanks 1

Something else I was wondering about along the way....

The Cheng Shin tires I have look to be identical tread to Dan Gurney branded tires. I know the Cheng Shin's went through some subtle tread changes over the years, so it seems I lucked out on this small detail. I still do not know how to decode C-183's, but the set I have on the bike are C-183A-1. I've seen the last letter and number grow with on other tires, so maybe ….A-1 is super early?

Can anyone shed any light on this? I can post clear pics of the tires I have later tonight if that helps...

Gurney tire.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome job Tom! Perfect build! I had one with the CBR gusset too!

• Thanks 1

The seat clamp mod is the icing on the cake of an already awesome bike. 

• Like 1

Dam Tom what a build man !!! Can’t wait to see it with my own eye maybe at the mid-west show ? Great build man and some cool shots with the fog

• Thanks 1

And always great to see a nice old school west coast bike in Michigan lol

• Like 1

So, the seat post clamp is a very nice piece that I received from Rick G many years ago. Actually, I am reusing it! It made an appearance on a DG Skibel I had back in ‘08 or ‘09...12794856-73FE-487A-A182-D38A39B70461.jpeg

• Like 4

9yrs in between the last stunner you assembled and this stunner!  WOW, I have been chomping at the bit wondering what you had up your sleeve when I saw you were looking for parts (there has gotta be another right behind this....:whistling:) Super impressive Tom, great job.  The fog pics are really fitting too.....it would have been cool if there was a shot of you walking from out of the fog towards the bike....like you rose up from your 9yr BMX nap and came back with the sickness! :cheers:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, OLDSKOOLPK said:

9yrs in between the last stunner you assembled and this stunner!  WOW, I have been chomping at the bit wondering what you had up your sleeve when I saw you were looking for parts (there has gotta be another right behind this....:whistling:) Super impressive Tom, great job.  The fog pics are really fitting too.....it would have been cool if there was a shot of you walking from out of the fog towards the bike....like you rose up from your 9yr BMX nap and came back with the sickness! :cheers:

Yea...there’s more where this came from...:OS_peace:

• Like 1

Super cool looking bike.  :rockout:

Great job on the build.  That hub is trick! 

• Like 1

I can't stop checking this out Tom. What a cool build and the seatclamp and hub are killer!! 

• Like 1

That thing is so f’ing cool.  Bmx stripped to the essence.

i have to have one of those Bendrix rear hubs.  How to I get one, make one, find one, etc.?I want one!

On 12/1/2019 at 9:49 PM, Dirty said:

That thing is so f’ing cool.  Bmx stripped to the essence.

i have to have one of those Bendrix rear hubs.  How to I get one, make one, find one, etc.?I want one!

That hub modification was detailed in a 1979 issue of BMXA. The article claimed you could remove up to 4 ounces of weight from the hub shell, but (although I do not have a picture of the BEFORE weight) the hub shown was only reduced by just under 3 ounces. As the BMXA tip suggests....try to work out a trade with a person who has access to a metal lathe....which I did.  Fortunately he was a super cool guy. It only cost me a 6-pack of Squirt and a 1lb bag of beef jerky. lol

He did a terrific job....but it took him a while. He could only work on it in his spare time when he wasn't busy at work.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 3:42 AM, keep_it_warm said:

That hub modification was detailed in a 1979 issue of BMXA. The article claimed you could remove up to 4 ounces of weight from the hub shell, but (although I do not have a picture of the BEFORE weight) the hub shown was only reduced by just under 3 ounces. As the BMXA tip suggests....try to work out a trade with a person who has access to a metal lathe....which I did.  Fortunately he was a super cool guy. It only cost me a 6-pack of Squirt and a 1lb bag of beef jerky. lol

He did a terrific job....but it took him a while. He could only work on it in his spare time when he wasn't busy at work.

That is one hell of a deal.  Where do I send the Squirt and jerky?!  I’d love to have one one.  What hub did you start with?

A pitted Bendix Red Band 2 coaster hub that was on a bike in my dads back yard.

It's crazy how this the hub walls are...I think we measured it at 5mm thick between ID and OD. Plenty of metal to allow for 'scooping out'.