Sign in to follow this  
Demon68

Reconnecting with fellow midwest 80's racers

David Weber here, looking to hopefully reconnect with some old BMX racing buddies. I used to race all over the Midwest in the early to late 80s. Elkhorn,Michigan City,South Bend,Waterford Oaks,Lombard,Manteno,Bourbonais,Rockford,Peoria,Springfield,Elkhart, Elkhorn,etc. I used to race Robinson,GT,Elf,and JMC.Craig Reynolds,Mighty Mo Tilman, Mark Melton, where you at?!!!

Edited by Demon68

I'm in Peoria. Never raced much but hung with alot of guys who rode for Little Ade's BMX shop in Pekin (still going strong). All the tracks local except Detweiller are gone. I'm good friends with Brian Price who was a heavy hitter bitd. He lives in Peoria and rode for Sundance Cycle up north.

Ah yes! Sundance. Great history there. Orange & black jerseys right? They were always a big presence at races. I grew up in South burbs of Chicago, we had several competitive teams in the early 80s from that area: Crete Custom Cyclery (Crete), Dino's Cyclery (Richton Park), and Paramount Schwinn (Harvey,Midlothian,& Matteson). I was on the Paramount team, Craig Reynolds was on Dino's. I do remember Ade's too!

Did you live in Midlothian or Markhem, used to come to the races with a friend who was black and a year or 2 older, and had a sister a couple years older?  

I lived in Richton Park. Rode with Craig Reynolds,who was a few yrs younger than me. His sister,Renea, worked at Wax Trax in Chicago. I did display my trophies at Paramount Schwinn on 147th in Midlothian,and i used to know Mighty Mo Tilman (he was black) from that area. There was a small practice track on Pulaski & 143rd by the forest preserve that another friend,Craig Hanson built. I knew Bob Scianna from Midlo too.