Sign in to follow this  
Brian Hays

All OG Prodyne is mine mine mine!!!!

Back about twelve years ago I was contacted at work by a guy asking me if I wanted to buy a looptail mini Ripper frame. I told him to bring it up and I'd look at it. I did buy it and we got to talking about local Peoria BMX back in the day. A few days later he shows up with two cruisers in the bed of his truck that he had just bought from a long time friend of his. One was a three bar Laguna and the other was a Prodyne. I had only been collecting three years at that point but was already well aware of Prodyne and the connection to JMC. Frank took them both home with plans of redoing them. For twelve years every time someone online talked about Prodyne I just bit my tongue not wanting anyone to know I knew of a local one. Life happens as we all know and I lost touch with Frank and the Prodyne but he and it crossed my mind many times over the years.

Fast forward to last month one night as I was driving home from work and my phone goes off. I'll be damned. It's Frank texting me asking if this was still my phone number and if I still lived in the area. After some texts back and forth he tells me he is ready to let go of the Prodyne. A few text convos and phone convos and him stopping by work to see me, we struck a deal. At that point I sold off about nine framesets in the last few weeks to make this happen Today was finally the day. Frank delivered the Prodyne to me at work exactly as it was from when I saw it twelve years ago.

The back story on the bike is that Frank's friend, Dan Madigan and his son Danny raced alot in the early 80s. Dan raced his three bar Laguna to an Illinois state championship back in 80 or 81 and the trophy prize for winning the state championship was the Prodyne. Dan rode for Russell's Cycle World (who is still going strong) who was the local JMC dealer. He went on to race the Prodyne alot too. The bike is still as raced.

I plan to disassemble the bike, scrub everything down and reassemble it. I have to buy a front tire (sidewall blown out), two tubes and a brake cable. I can't decide if the forks are bent out or just have alot of rake. I will be posting progress pics and good final pics in the next couple of weeks. Here are the pics today literally minutes after Frank delivered it to me.

20200316_152236.jpg

20200316_152143.jpg

20200316_152147.jpg

20200316_152133.jpg

20200316_152156.jpg

20200316_152151.jpg

• Like 6

That bike is sweet! That brake lever is hard to find I’ve been looking for one for awhile. Nice!

23288F57-7FE7-40DF-B322-97106B8139AB.png

• Like 2

Wow! Very nice Brian. Congrats on the pickup! I noticed the forks immediately in the first picture...but im no expert, so I hope they are NOT bent. Really really cool. Looking forward to progress pictures.

• Like 1

Dream machine! 

• Like 1

geez.... so sick that is a real nice addition... you needed to tune into cruisers :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, S.Brothers said:

geez.... so sick that is a real nice addition... you needed to tune into cruisers :) 

Ya I'm feeling a love for cruisers all of a sudden. May be time to switch from 20's.

Nice pull Brian! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Hays said:

Ya I'm feeling a love for cruisers all of a sudden. May be time to switch from 20's.

I'm so far gone I don't even ride 24s any more. It'll happen to you! 

That there is a dream score. Color me envious. 

• Like 1

I like!! 

20’s will always be the shit fellas.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steve bourke said:

sooo sick.

i think the forks are bent and that deserves better than Tange forks

Ya I agree. Got these for it.

26lg2.jpeg

26lg1.jpeg

• Like 1

Could a person buy a LG fork separate bitd ?  Just out of curiosity. Not saying it would be wrong to use them, I think it’s good to use what you like. That’s how it’s done on race bikes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dav451 said:

Could a person buy a LG fork separate bitd ?  Just out of curiosity. Not saying it would be wrong to use them, I think it’s good to use what you like. That’s how it’s done on race bikes. 

Yes SE didn't offer ANY complete bikes until mid 1982. You bought a frame you wanted and a fork you wanted. Every piece seperate was the ONLY way you could buy SE stuff from 78-82. These 81 OM Flyer forks are absoluteky "correct" for this frame. Prodyne never offered forks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brian Hays said:

Yes SE didn't offer ANY complete bikes until mid 1982. You bought a frame you wanted and a fork you wanted. Every piece seperate was the ONLY way you could buy SE stuff from 78-82. These 81 OM Flyer forks are absoluteky "correct" for this frame. Prodyne never offered forks.

Cool, thanks for the SE history lesson. Can never learn to much about SE

Edited by dav451
  • Like 1

I love it!  I can't tell from the pics but the forks look good to me...but the landing gear would look sick!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steve bourke said:

i think Cook bros forks would be cool on it

That was actually discussed. Not against buying a set of those too. Had them on both of my Nomura cruisers and love them.

• Like 1

Appears the forks are not bent. Here is another set of the same. Pics sent to me by rspartz. They have the same rake.

20200316_152236.jpg

4e2a0223-20dc-481e-ad5a-9a108137db455e75208559-1.jpeg

58655b02-7683-4029-ad71-b8ae46a535f85e751fd25d.jpeg

4e2a0223-20dc-481e-ad5a-9a108137db455e75208559.jpeg

• Like 1

Spent all day today cleaning and soaking parts. Unfortunately the seat and post combo are seized in the frame. It's an ACS Stoker with an aluminum post. The alloy post wont budge. I fought with it for over two hours and stopped before I ruined the seat and mangled the post. The LG forks were mailed today so it'll be a few days before I get them. Did my standard two rounds of rubbing compound, two rounds of polishing compound and one round of wax on the frame. All other parts were scrubbed with Nevrdull

20200321_171401.jpg

20200321_171404.jpg

20200321_171346.jpg

20200321_171353.jpg

20200321_171357.jpg

What did you pour down the seat tube? Did you let it soak over night? Is there a hole in top of the bottom bracket to pour up with the frame upside down? 

• Like 1

We use this stuff at work. Allowed to soak over night, and sometimes requiring a good whack with a hammer, it will free the most rusted and seized stems, headsets, seatposts, etc. Given the age and condition of some of the projects we restore, I’d think it would make short work of that post. 

12485D26-41C8-4204-82D5-921F684C0CBA.png

• Like 1