Sign in to follow this  
Brian Hays

1985 GHP Pro II

Just got this 1985 GHP Pro II with og chrome and decals. The Pro II was the long frame with a 19.5" top tube. The Pro I had the std 18.5" top tube. The late 85 frames were no longer VDC made and had a long serial stamped on the BB instead of the dropout and had these different forks which are Spinner stamped. This frame set was bought by the og owner at a race in NJ from Greg Hill out of the back of a van in 85.

20200321_172204.jpg

20200321_172218.jpg

20200321_172223.jpg

20200321_172211.jpg

20200321_172227.jpg

20200321_172233.jpg

• Like 1

interesting... pretty long, eh for 85? Do you know where it was made?

I dont. I did some searching and came up with nothing. I know the 82-83 Star and 83-mid 85 GHP frames were all VDC made with dated serials on the rear drop out. These late frames with the bb serial and the absence (again) of the headtube/downtube gusset are most likely overseas made but I don't know by who.

Related note. The 91 frames were Elf made but noone knows who made the 92 frames (phisically different than the 91 frames and forks). A couple peiple suggested Bill Ryan at Supercross but Bill himself said he never did any stuff for Greg. When I bought all the 2005 and 2007 prototype frames, I inquired with Riggs who owns Bicycle City and is personal friends with Gregs partner (and previous owner of Bicycle City) Alan Worley and both Shawn and Alan said they have no idea who made all those frames (for 12 years) because Greg took care of all that. I then had a friend of Gregs who I bought some stuff from on Ebay ask Greg who made all those 2005-2017 frames and he said Greg told him he doesn't remember which I find impossible to believe and don't know why it would be a secret. 

At one point awhile back I asked here if anyone had Greg's contact info and got a message from a very trusted member and someone I consider a friend with a heads up that last time he got together with Greg for pizza and beer that Greg made it clear he was tired of talking about GHP so I dropped it. That coupled with the fact that I don't do facebook, I just dropped it. Would love a complete GHP history but it's some sort of secret I cant find the answers to.

I like these frames and all the GHP stuff but Greg can be a piece of work.  This gen of decals are my least favorite too...they always looked cheap.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TrulyOdd said:

I like these frames and all the GHP stuff but Greg can be a piece of work.  This gen of decals are my least favorite too...they always looked cheap.  

I agree with every word you said.