Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

BMX Industry Pioneer & Legend, Mike Devitt has passed

Sad news today, one of the most important pioneers of BMX left us this morning. Mike Devitt was a legend and had a hand in some of the most notable brands of not just BMX, but Action Sports - Makaha Skateboards, Dan Gurney, Bike-Ette, Dirt Master, SE Racing and Alliant.

Mike Devitt was a gem and naturally he was a BMX Society Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient.

MIKE DEVITT MEMORIAL_final_proofed.jpg

• Like 2

Mike was naturally a BMX Society Lifetime Achievement Award recipient. He did not get enough credit in my opinion.

Frankly... even as revered as he was, he was a MUCH bigger deal than he ever let on, or is generally understood. He was a mover and shaker from the very beginning of BMX. Legend of the highest caliber.

Mike's quality of life had plummeted in the wake of some strokes the past few years.

This is tough. He was a sweet guy... really kind and patient to moto-filler dudes like many of us were and are, and until his health gave out...he was always up for answering some research questions.

Steve_Mike_Devitt.jpg

• Like 3

Stu, Mike, Perry at Scot's celebration of life in LB. 

Stu_Mike_Devitt_Perry_Kramer_July18_2015.jpg

• Like 1

Well that is no fun.

I was on a ride this evening (in the San Fernando Valley) and saw a modern SE Big Ripper, in red and gold that was very well cared for. I made a comment to the younger rider that he had a very cool ride. he was stoked as was I seeing SE still a alive after 40 some years making riders happy.

Rest well Mike Devitt.

I will add well said Steve.

• Like 1

Sad day...:-( bmx heaven gets another member. 

Mike Devitt and Scot Breithaupt Jr at the OM's celebration of life in Long Beach.

wow. 

ScotJr_MikeD_July18_2015_ScotCelebration.jpg

• Like 1

This literally took my breath away. :( You will be missed Sir. Thank you for EVERYTHING.

• Sad 1

Just got a message from Elaine Holt of BMX news fame.. thought I share her great pic and message. 

" I was cleaning out some boxes in my garage today and coincidentally I found this picture of Mike Devitt and Paul Hinkston of Shimano. The back of the photo says, April 1984. 
I was totally surprised by this photo because I don't remember anything about it!"

20200508_205023.jpg

• Like 3

This is sad news.  From all that I've read and learned about Mike Devitt, he was truly one of those people who lived life to the fullest, inspired others, and brought many of us great joy.  R.I.P Mr. Devitt, you will be missed.

Sad to hear this.  Condolences to his family and friends. 

From the Mark Eaton files.

• Like 2

That is well worth it to watch.