Sign in to follow this  
carloslijeron

Old Dad - Young Kid -- First BMX Bike

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

I'm now in my 40's, but when I was a teen used to have my BMX bike which I loved with all my heart.   Fast forward 30 years, I am now living in the USA and my son is 7 years old.  He seems to be good at riding bikes and is looking for more challenges, so I thought to myself: Why not get the 2 of us some nice BMX bikes to ride together.   So, I searched online and honestly I could not understand any of the BMX lingo ... someone suggested to get a 20.85 TT and someone else said I must get 8.75" bars.

My total budget is around 800 to 900 for a durable BMX for my son (possibly aluminum frame so it's lighter for him) and something on the low end for me ... just to ride along with him.

Any suggestions you can make?    Also, if anyone can tell me that 20.85 tt means?.   Thanks all.  I will post photos of our bike when we get them.

Here is what I found for my son so far:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G1HWG9P/?coliid=I172OEW226965Q&colid=28WBWMT1GCX6M&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WSY8LB5/?coliid=I3C3QOQ6YRPRFU&colid=28WBWMT1GCX6M&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.americancycle.com/product/eastern-lowdown-bmx-bike/

Dad and Son ...

Edited by carloslijeron
Added new content

20.85” tt is the length of the top tube from center of seat post to center of steer tube. Honestly, for you I’d get a cruiser, a bike with either 24” or 26” wheels. I’d avoid those amazon bikes listed, those are pretty much garbage. Go with anything made by a reputable current brand. Problem is right now many brands are out of stock because of Covid. However some brands are getting new bikes to shops. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to check craigslist for a nice used bike. Then once you put some miles on it you can get a feel for what you like and maybe get a new bike later. 

• Like 1

See if you are close to any BMX tracks that might be open. Go and check out what bikes kids like yours are riding. Maybe even get a quick test ride to check size fit. Might even come across something for sale. 

Like mentioned local bike shops and online shops are low on supply and waiting for restocking. Best of luck.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MelvinsArmy said:

20.85” tt is the length of the top tube from center of seat post to center of steer tube. Honestly, for you I’d get a cruiser, a bike with either 24” or 26” wheels. I’d avoid those amazon bikes listed, those are pretty much garbage. Go with anything made by a reputable current brand. Problem is right now many brands are out of stock because of Covid. However some brands are getting new bikes to shops. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to check craigslist for a nice used bike. Then once you put some miles on it you can get a feel for what you like and maybe get a new bike later. 

great advice.     also, check with your local bike shop that has knowledge of BMX stuff (race, street, etc).   they can show you sizes of frames and wheels that would best suit both you and your son. 

if you're not gonna be racing...check out brands like S&M, Cult, Sunday, Fit, Stolen, Odyssey...

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 1:06 PM, MelvinsArmy said:

Melvin, that's a great idea. I did not think about Craigistlist or Facebook Marketplace. I'll check for a used one for me and something a bit better for my son.   Thanks for the information !!

On 8/30/2020 at 4:59 PM, turdburd said:

See if you are close to any BMX tracks that might be open. Go and check out what bikes kids like yours are riding. Maybe even get a quick test ride to check size fit. Might even come across something for sale. 

Like mentioned local bike shops and online shops are low on supply and waiting for restocking. Best of luck.

turdburd, I just found a track in the Orlando, FL area, which I hope to visit in the next couple of weeks.  Thank you for the good idea !

On 8/31/2020 at 3:24 AM, TrulyOdd said:

great advice.     also, check with your local bike shop that has knowledge of BMX stuff (race, street, etc).   they can show you sizes of frames and wheels that would best suit both you and your son. 

if you're not gonna be racing...check out brands like S&M, Cult, Sunday, Fit, Stolen, Odyssey...

TrulyOdd. I'll keep those brand names in mind.   Thanks for the information.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:37 AM, wagonguy said:

WagonGuy.  Thanks for the link.  I personally like this one https://fitbikeco.com/shop/bikes/2021-prk-xs/   Someone else also suggested the Fit bikes.

Are there any recommended brake systems for racing vs freestyle?   Example, pedal brake ... what are the recommendations?

Thanks !

Racing will use a V-brake. Fit doesn’t make a race bike though. A lot of freestyle bikes are brakekess these days, so be careful of that. U-brakes are the norm for freestyle/street/park bikes that have brakes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carloslijeron said:

WagonGuy.  Thanks for the link.  I personally like this one https://fitbikeco.com/shop/bikes/2021-prk-xs/   Someone else also suggested the Fit bikes.

Are there any recommended brake systems for racing vs freestyle?   Example, pedal brake ... what are the recommendations?

Thanks !

I don't know how tall you are, but that Fit is a really short frame. 20" top tube.