Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

when the shit hits the fan...

A sort of popular and perennial thread on the forums is a thread that posits this dilemma:
"If you could only save one of your bikes, which would it be?"

It's supposed to be a fun hypothetical.

Well, I faced this dilemma for real this week. I thought you might be interested to see what I went with.

1 in 10 residents of the State of Oregon has been evacuated. I personally have friends who have lost it all this week.

Parts of my town were evacuated, but so far our neighborhood is ok.

None the less, since we are still going to work and work in a remote forrest location, we are now carrying around an evacuation kit in the car. It is comprised of a binder full of essential documents and identification. A suitcase full of a few items of clothes for various climatic situations, a box of photos from our decades in Nepal, and.... the subject of this thread: the bicycle component of this evacuation kit.

So when it came down to it... I did not choose 1 bike.
I chose 2.  
I didn't go for monetary value.

Steve_OM_Flyer.jpg

I chose the OM because it is my go to daily rider and in a total societal collapse it would be comfortable transportation.

Quadangle_Kansas_Special_SBrothers.jpg

I still had some room so I put the loop tail quadangle in... I've known this bike for 35 years, and my childhood friend, who owned this bike, and who happens to live 20 minutes away from me in Talent, Oregon lost his house this week in the fires. So... if I had not acquired this bike a couple years ago... it would have burned the other night.

I just decided I wouldn't let it burn across town either.

So... it was a mix of practicality and sentimentality that brought me to these choices.
I'm not looking for feedback on what you would have saved from my collection. 

I'm just sharing what I did, when the hypothetical became real.
The good news is... the threat seems to have diminished for us personally. All it would take is a change in wind direction though... so we'll keep the evacuation gear in the car for a few more days probably.

My thoughts go out to those who lost it all, including hall of famer, John Palfreyman Jr

c124e630-135e-4e07-bc2b-eec0a978eda7-smallScale_AP20254742780230.jpg

EhcMCAYU0AAjFD5.jpg

salem1.jpg

• Like 5

Stay safe, Steve! 

My choice is a no-brainer. The bike I built in a frame-building class. The blood sweat and tears that went into making this frame could never be replaced. Also, it’s a very practical bike that would be useful after losing everything else. Any other bike could be replaced. However it’d be particularly hard to lose my dad’s 1969 Sears Spyder. 

100E5CF1-E798-4BF7-A8ED-ABB94C6AFBCE.jpeg

• Like 5

Stay safe up that way Steve. Sad to see that about Palfreyman and everyone else who lost everything. 

My save also a no brainer. My VDC, had since day one and just has so many memories attached to it.

20181021_094437.jpg

Edited by turdburd
  • Like 4

Ive owned this GT since i bought it new as a 1st year apprentice so while its not the most valuable bike i own in monetary terms sentimentaly it has to be the one id pick.

CAF7E05D-26B3-4DC5-A098-C9FC72E3206F.jpeg

• Like 6

Wow Steve.  Some scary stuff happening.  Hope you and your wife stay safe and everything remains ok.  

The bike I’d save would be my childhood bike. The Star Products that’s been through it all with me  Like others, it’s not my most expensive but is definitely the one I have the most connection with. 
1EAD15AE-F835-4BE9-A61D-10B9309F182E.jpeg

• Like 5

Yikes Steve!!! Unreal. Stay safe.

If I could only save one, I think it would be my Prodyne.

20200718_175747.jpg

• Like 3

Scarey stuff Steve - stay safe out there !

I'm gonna cheat and pick 2 like you did lol.

If I had to pick 2 to save it would be all sentimental based for me - 81 minigoose (first BMX I had as a kid) and 1982 UK spec Supergoose (bike I always wanted as a kid).

1981_minigoose_bobafett_01.JPG

1982supergoose_bobafett17.jpg

Hope life returns to normal for you guys soon !

Hard to see so many people I know  go through that hell.  Glad you are safe. 

• Like 1

If the shit gets crazy, hit me up...can fit quite a few in the Astro and we are in a very safe spot. Huge propane facility behind the development that will get heavy tanker cover, plus fallow fields surround us.

This is the craziest shit I've bore witness too. Phoenix was the first t own I started bumping around when I moved here...

I swear you can feel the sadness and despair just in the air...people were walking like zombies with what remained of their worldly possessions...fuck I need a break 2020, just fuck off already.

• Like 1