Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TrulyOdd

Linn Kastan working with REDLINE again

Recommended Posts

Looks like some people are going to be happy and some others are going to be very unhappy. 

Cool to see it happen anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've actually talked with Dom at length about this project.  I concede that while it will come as news to no one... neither myself, nor the majority of you here are big reproduction fans. LOL....  That said... Dom does good projects, and I've come to understand that often these companies must have a profit angle, or they simply can't justify the expense of supporting projects like this... and by projects "like this"., I mean this sort of deep dive, documentary style stuff that Dom Phipps does.  He's the guy that did the Freestyle books, as most will recall... and those are really well done, and important documents.  Anyway... point is, in order to make these things happen, and they require a tremendous amount of time and indeed, expense... I do understand how doing a bike throwback can make these things possible.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Linn is stoked to have being asked to make these. He still has original drawings and designs. He doesn't throw anything away lol. 

The guys welding the frames and now sons all aircraft quality welders. 

Be good to see one and see how good it is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, all 400 (300 for world and 100 for NZ and Oz) sold out in 16 hours. $1629.99 each (all in) in US dollars paid up front. Stunning......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JU was going to do the same thing but in a 26".....which apparently never took off unfortunately. I would of been in line for that too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 3:17 AM, Brian Hays said:

Wow, all 400 (300 for world and 100 for NZ and Oz) sold out in 16 hours. $1629.99 each (all in) in US dollars paid up front. Stunning......

I just looked and they are 3k aud in OZ which is around $2250 usd so you guys are getting a bargain!...i think we are sold out as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, S.Brothers said:

I've actually talked with Dom at length about this project.  I concede that while it will come as news to no one... neither myself, nor the majority of you here are big reproduction fans. LOL....  That said... Dom does good projects, and I've come to understand that often these companies must have a profit angle, or they simply can't justify the expense of supporting projects like this... and by projects "like this"., I mean this sort of deep dive, documentary style stuff that Dom Phipps does.  He's the guy that did the Freestyle books, as most will recall... and those are really well done, and important documents.  Anyway... point is, in order to make these things happen, and they require a tremendous amount of time and indeed, expense... I do understand how doing a bike throwback can make these things possible.

Thank you, Steve. The next phase of the project gets into the historical content; Linn's engineering contribution to BMX in those early days and Red Lines impact on the emerging scene through the late 1970s and 80s. Linn has kindly allowed me full access to his archive. From a researchers point of view, It's a phenomenal resource. We will be sharing a lot of it through the months ahead.

We started shooting the Red Line Foundations mini doc a few weeks ago with Linn. In early December, we bring Stu, Bob Hadley, Byron, David Clinton, Bob Haro, and Curt Kastan together to evolve it further. Beyond that I will be traveling to see others including Gene Roden, Scott Clark, John Crews, etc. 

I look forward to sharing more with you all soon. The website will grow and evolve ten-fold over the next 6-9 months. 

www.redlinebmxfoundations.com

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As if you don't have enough to do, but if, while sifting through his archives, you stumble across anything regarding the XR75 motorcycle frame's I would love any info you see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shinglehead said:

As if you don't have enough to do, but if, while sifting through his archives, you stumble across anything regarding the XR75 motorcycle frame's I would love any info you see.

Besides the obvious, I also would like to learn more about the non-BMX side of Red Line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, shinglehead said:

As if you don't have enough to do, but if, while sifting through his archives, you stumble across anything regarding the XR75 motorcycle frame's I would love any info you see.

Sure thing. There are quite a few boxes that Linn has somewhat organized. I scratched the surface when I was last there. I will chat to him when I am there next to see what he has. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×