Sign in to follow this  
variable

Redline MX III year ID and Restoration advice.

Hi All,

Back at my folks and found my "Pushie", thinking I will restore it for my son (me), trouble is I dont know what year it is and what it looked like new, I got it pre loved back in the day with back peddle brakes so not sure what is original and what is parts bin.

I did find this http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/joekat27/tuff-redlines-1.jpg

Any help with when this bike is from and what is original and what it might have been when new. I did like the gold rims and parts in the advertisement.

Thanks all.

IMG_7363.jpeg

IMG_7365.jpeg

IMG_7367.jpeg

• Like 1

Take it apart, clean it up and build it the way you/he wants it. DO NOT RUIN THE VERY NICE ORIGINAL FINISH AND DECALS ON THIS FRAME SET BY RESTORING (ruining) IT!!! If you want your son to have a nice perfect brand new looking bike then GO BUY HIM A BRAND NEW BIKE. Restoring this VERY NICE original frameset would be an ABSOLUTE TRAGEDY.

Personally I would disassemble, clean and regrease everything. Buy new tires and tubes and grips and put it back together. I always use rubbing compound, polishing compound and then wax. The finish will shine. PLEASE do not restore this. Other option is sell it to me and go buy your son a brand new bike. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Yes, do not restore or refinish this beautiful frame set. I'd say this is from '80 / ' 81, at least at that time Red Line offered a complete MX III. Besides the rear tire and grips it looks absolutely original to me. Take a look here in BMX Action or BMX Plus Red Line advertisements from '80 / '81 and you will get a proper idea on these bikes: http://oldschoolmags.com

Thanks all, so it seems it is a 520 with coaster tuffs. Question, I understand not refinishing the paint, what is the collective thinking on the chrome bits. Is re chroming those parts advisable? there is significant surface rust and peeling on the bars.

Thanks for the guidance.

Please get over your urge to refinish everything. Do an oxolic acid bath or vinegar bath on the chrome stuff. It will eat the rust off and then polish it with chrome polish or neverdull and be done. You can google for the simple process of an oa or vinegar bath.

If you want him to have a new bike that is shiny then buy him one. I was serious if you ever want to sell this complete (as long as it hasn't been touched) Im a buyer.

RJ serial # is 1980 and Japan made. Could have been a full bike? Suntour parts, Araya 7Cs or Xs. Up to you to restore it but keeping original certainly cool. Survivor build if paint not flaking badly