Sign in to follow this  
keep_it_warm

COMPLETE: 1982 Trackmaster Phantom

Back in September 2007 I put on my OS-BMX t-shirt and took my daughter to the local park on a Sunday morning. She was on the big playscape with two other youngsters. The father of the kids approached me and said, "Cool shirt. Are you a member of that site?". We start talking and we realize we raced in southeast Michigan during the same years (him: 80-86...me: 80-84). He told me that he still had a couple old bikes and asked me if I had ever heard of RRS. I said, "Oh yea! Great bikes!". He went on to tell me that he rode for Trackmaster (makers of RRS bikes) in the early 1980's. At the end of our discussion, I asked him to contact me if he ever decided to get rid of the bike.

Fast forward 13 years. I received a text message this summer. He was ready to let the bike go and asked if I remembered that I told him to contact me. I did. We talked and came to an agreement on price. I purchased the bike as a partial complete. I had planned to use most of the purchased parts on my own “rebuild’ of the bike. But as I started investigating things and assessing the components, I quickly realized that many of the parts were far past the survivor condition I was excited about, so I started searching for the components I thought would be appropriate. The bike, as it is built now, is basically how I envision it.

Trackmaster was based out of Hesperia, California. They were builders of motorcycle frames. In the very early 1980’s(?), they began to produce BMX framesets for companies such as Robinson, Patterson, Tahoe and RRS. Looking at this frame, it would seem that Trackmaster basically took (borrowed, stole) bits and pieces of trick technology of the day to put out their own brand.

This frameset features ALL of the following:

• Floval tubing (top tube and down tube)
  • Eccentric bottom bracket
  • Square seat tube and seat post (with four sleeved through holes)
  • Canti brake mounts
  • Fixed ‘Pacman’ style dropouts front and rear

I would describe it as a late 1982 bike with 100% original finish components. The seat tube decals are new, cut vinyl. The frameset has been through a lot (the canti brake mounts were cut off in the early 80’s) but it is a solid survivor and I have detailed provenance of this frame/fork/bb/seat post. A bike with real Michigan BMX racing history.

• FRAME:  Trackmaster Phantom 24”
  • FORK:  Trackmaster
  • HEADSET:  Tange with original B.S. Dirt Skirt
  • STEM:  DK
  • HANDLEBARS:  Race Inc.
  • GRIPS:  Oakley II
  • RIMS:  Araya 7X
  • SPOKES:  .080 Stainless
  • HUBS:  Son-Lite Turbo
  • TIRES:  IRC Racer X-1
  • SEAT:  Kashimax MX
  • SEAT POST:  Trackmaster
  • BOTTOM BRACKET:  Hatta/Trackmaster eccentric
  • CHAIN:  D.I.D.
  • FREEWHEEL:  Suntour 18T
  • CRANKSET:  Campagnolo Strada
  • CHAIN RING:  Campagnolo 42T
  • PEDALS:  Shimano DX
  • BRAKE CALIPER:  Dia-Compe 610 center pull
  • BRAKE PADS:  Kool Stop
  • BRAKE LEVER:  Shimano DX
  • PADS:  Cal Lite frame / Flite stem and bar
  • PLATE:  Hot Plate

_finished 0024.jpg

_finished 0030.jpg

_finished 0031.jpg

_finished 0025.jpg

• Like 3

OMG!  I don’t know who I hate more, you or William?!?  :P  What a score, big ups homie!!!  :homies:

• Like 1

You build bikes that i keep coming back to look at...nice work!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gto455 said:

You build bikes that i keep coming back to look at...nice work!

Hey, thanks. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The 26incher said:

OMG!  I don’t know who I hate more, you or William?!?  :P  What a score, big ups homie!!!  :homies:

Thank you Jason. I hope everything is going great for you!

4 hours ago, shinglehead said:

Some guys just have "it" when building a bike. Tom is one of those guys. That is another awesome build.

Absolute truth!! Outstanding build and story. Amazing that he kept your number for 13 years. Truly the same circumstance and story as my Prodyne.

• Like 1

That bike is so much in its own league it's almost scary. Perfection.

• Like 1

I wish the canti mounts were not cut off bitd, but since it was done 35+ years ago, I didn’t want to mess with the frame. I think the short reach center pull looks good.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, keep_it_warm said:

I wish the canti mounts were not cut off bitd, but since it was done 35+ years ago, I didn’t want to mess with the frame. I think the short reach center pull looks good.

i wonder if a good machinist could drill out and thread holes for new threaded posts? it looks like enough surface area to do it. file the surface flat, centerdrill, drill thread minor, tap. :CashMoney:

That’s a badass bike. :Bling:

It really is a beautiful frameset.  

5 hours ago, steve bourke said:

i wonder if a good machinist could drill out and thread holes for new threaded posts? it looks like enough surface area to do it. file the surface flat, centerdrill, drill thread minor, tap. :CashMoney:

Or is there room to put a nut under the hole and tighten the brake post down like a nut and bolt....just a thought