Sign in to follow this  
Range_Rat700

Value of my old bikes

Posted (edited)

hi guys and gals, I am new to this forum. i was speaking with a buddy about bikes from our youth and i mentioned that i still have my supergoose from childhood and his jaw almost hit the ground. my question is what is the value of this bike? i did a little research on the serial number and found that it was made in Jan of 1981 which makes sense because it was the spring of 1981 that it was purchased for me from my local bike shop. the parts that survived includes frame, forks, 3 piece crank, handle bars, gooseneck, seat post, and seat post clamp. the hardware for the crank and forks has mongoose stamped in them. the bike is clean for the most part with the exception of some scratches in the forks and where the wheels mount.

i also have my first bike which is all original with the exception of tires... the bike is a 16" schwinn scrambler. any help will be greatly appreciated. 

thumbnail_IMG_6973.jpg

thumbnail_64056699451__07EA897E-7DBE-4F58-8371-8F48066625E2.jpg

thumbnail_64056694537__2EE03A3A-84B3-44B8-A522-2F71897E0299.jpg

FHFI6179.JPG

Edited by Range_Rat700

42 minutes ago, Range_Rat700 said:

hi guys and gals, I am new to this forum. i was speaking with a buddy about bikes from our youth and i mentioned that i still have my supergoose from childhood and his jaw almost hit the ground. my question is what is the value of this bike? i did a little research on the serial number and found that it was made in Jan of 1981 which makes sense because it was the spring of 1981 that it was purchased for me from my local bike shop. the parts that survived includes frame, forks, 3 piece crank, handle bars, gooseneck, seat post, and seat post clamp. the hardware for the crank and forks has mongoose stamped in them. the bike is clean for the most part with the exception of some scratches in the forks and where the wheels mount.

i also have my first bike which is all original with the exception of tires... the bike is a 16" schwinn scrambler. any help will be greatly appreciated. 

I’ve seen 2 recently go for around $2500. I don’t know about the Schwinn Scrambler 

interesting... I haven't seen any go near that... I'm out of the loop I guess.  

3 hours ago, dav451 said:

I’ve seen 2 recently go for around $2500. I don’t know about the Schwinn Scrambler 

Probably helped by aussie collectors going a bit nuts on mongooses lately

Wow.  That price is wild for a mongoose.  

cool set up though.  Build it up...enjoy it and post some pics. 

Bike value is generally a question frowned upon in most forums. Best bet is to look for completed ebay auctions and sales postings on forums, etc. "There is no Blue Book for BMX".

That said Goose stuff is highly sought after though I'm currently having problems getting asking price for an old Expert. Mongoose stamped bottom brackets and headsets are hot on the market. Australia is a huge hot spot for goose stuff.

Any bike is the sum of the parts. If those you say had Mongoose Gold Stems and some other primo parts, sure. But I'd concur, $2500 might be steep. But there are fanatics.

The real question is, do you need the money, or the memories more at this point in life?

that looks like $500 if you find the right buyer. but $300 is more reasonable.

if it was a team, super, or decoster and complete i could see $2500.

Ive sold most of these parts in OZ recently,so ive had an eye on local prices.Ill throw some local prices down for fun.

frame 1k

forks 400

cranks/spider/bb 450/500

stamped bars 500+

gold stem 600

seat clamp 200/250

pedals 50

I sold a motomag frame with team forks for $1300 and bought a hutch 24 f/f bars with the money for $1500 locally

that said our dollar is at 75c to the usd